Canine Behavior/Toy Poodle's Night Aggression

Question
Hello, my mom and I have a 1 and a half year old female toy poodle. Her name is Princess. She sleeps with both of us on the bed. During the night, especially when the lights are off, she becomes very sensitive. Whenever we move, she will growl and bite. She will attack us and jump on us. We do not even touch her, just so long as we move she will attack us. We react by scolding her, firmly saying no and asking her "why are you biting me?!". She then looks sorry and goes back to sleep. This happens whenever we move, and its a routine now that we cover our entire body in the quilt just in case she bites us. What can we do? Thanks

Answer
Remove the dog from the bed and the bedroom.   Give her a soft comfortable bed in another room (kitchen).  Be prepared for a few nights of howling, barking, whining.  DO NOT RESPOND.  Even if you must lose sleep.  The dog's eyes must be examined by an expert in ophthalmology in order to rule out some inherited sight problems (early onset cataracts being one of them).  Meanwhile, this behavior is totally unacceptable from a companion dog.  Find a veterinary ophthalmologist if you can (in your country) for a thorough evaluation and then report back using followup feature.

Before introducing any serious behavior modification program, we need to know the dog is not suffering from a physical cause for this behavior.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.