Canine Behavior/getting in trash cans and on the couch

I recently adopted a lab/golden retriever mix.  She is about 5 yrs. old.
I don't know how to keep her from getting into my trash can and recycling can that I keep on the service porch.  There isn't anywhere else that is convenient to keep them.  My last dog didn't get into things, so I'm stymied as how to keep her out of them.  She knocks them down and drags things all through the house.  Verbal scolding hasn't helped.
I also don't want her to sleep on the couch.  I've tried putting pillows to block her and newspaper on the couch, but she still goes up there when I'm in bed at night.  Scolding hasn't helped either.  I don't want to use a crate.  Help please.
Thank you

Crates are not awful!  Dogs that have been acclimated to them LOVE them.  If you don't want to use one, however, you can train your dog to go to a cushy bed on the floor.  
Here's trainer, Emily Larlham, teaching "go to your mat":
I own a hound, and as you know, they can get carried away when something smells good - this is the trash can I use, and none of my dogs bother it at all.  When it's closed they can't seem to figure out how to lift the lid lol. Sometimes management is easier than scolding (which rarely works and makes some dogs nervous enough that they comfort themselves by getting in to things):
Here's a page devoted to the trash problem (I do NOT recommend the booby trap ideas, though):
One thing that's easy and inexpensive to try are bungee cords to keep the lids on.  
As for the couch, perhaps try a using afurniture throw to which you tape some aluminum foil - dogs usually hate lying on foil.

Canine Behavior

Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT

I am happy to answer questions about: dog behavior and training, therapy dogs, training disabled dogs, training recently rescued dogs, and managing off leash play groups.

Professionally involved in teaching private and group lessons, and doing behavior consultations. American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen Evaluator, Therapy Dogs, Inc. Tester/Observer. Special interest in pet/elder issues, and in therapy dogs.

Truly Dog Friendly Association of Pet Dog Trainers International Positive Dog Training Association Therapy Dogs, Inc.

Gloucester Times Cape Ann Beacon Ipswich Chronicle Beverly Citizen Salem News

Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, Cum Laude. Diploma in Dog Obedience Instruction, Graduate of NY School of Dog Grooming, Certified Advanced Pet Care Technician - American Boarding Kennels Assn., Certified Pet First Aid & CPR, American Red Cross

2002 Caregiver Award from the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare, for Pawsitive Connections Program (pet/elder issues)