Canine Behavior/3 bitches fighting recently

Question
Hi, i am looking to see if u can give me any helpful tips & advise as how to deal wit my bitches fighting. I have a 4year Jack Russel whom i have since she was 6weeks old, a 3year old Labrador Cross who i adopt from a dogs rehoming organisation when she was 8weeks & a 15month old Pitbull whom i got when she was 3months old. Fairly recently between the last 2-3 weeks my Jack Russel has started fights with the Pitbull, ive tried correcting the behaviour but i dont seem to know what to do now. I cant notice the Pitbull doing anything that the Jack Russel might react to. And wen or if them 2 start my Labrador jumps in 2 stop it or protect one or the other. Neither of them have been hurt or bitten thank god, it doesnt go that far! My dogs are very well behaved apart from this but i cant help & also think i am not stepping up as their pack leader role properly? The Labrador & Pitbull are grand on their own with eachother but when the Jack Russel is there thats when it starts.Any advise is verymuch appreciated

Answer
At 15 months, the Pit is approaching first stage of adult maturation and this is the time for rank opportunism.  The JRT, on the other hand, is at full adult maturation and is most likely reacting to subtle body language you cannot see (or at least are unable to interpret, much like any language you don't "speak").  JRT's are tough, territorial little dogs that absolutely need to *know* their human cohabitant(s) are at the top of the social hierarchy.  This is done by positive reinforcement training and subtle signals of social hierarchy as the dog matures.

Unfortunately, when a situation such as this arises between bitches, one needs an expert to assess the actual cause and suggest remedies IN PERSON.  The possibility of this problem worsening is high (as the Pit matures further) and the JRT has no chance against this other bitch in full out "fight" mode.

I don't know if there are certified applied animal behaviorists easily found in Ireland but I suspect they are there (NO dog trainers!)  I suggest you begin with the organization below, which is international:

http://www.iaabc.org/

Because something IS setting off the JRT and I can't see it, I can't advise you.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.