Canine Behavior/Constant whining

Question
Ok here it is in a nutshell.IT have an 8 month old Irish wolfhound male puppy.IF,ve been to my vets and physically he is perfect.But he doesn,t stop whining.I mean always.I feed him,walk him ,give him attention and he still bloody whines and doesn,t shut up.It,s driving me nuts.It,s gotten so ad I don,t take him anywere.His good in cars but you get him into my boyfriends van and he goes nuts.0 to 10 in 3 seconds.My boyfriend walks dogs and he says its all the scents of his pack driving Culann nuts.But then why does he still do it at home non stop?I,m telling you it,s getting anoying and now Culann goes no were because of it bothering other people now.

Answer
He may not be so "perfect" as your veterinarian says.  Unless a vet has x-ray vision and magical powers, only extensive blood work and a complete exam (orthopedic, opthalmological, neurological) can answer the question: why is this adolescent dog demonstrating a juvenile behavior that is intended to elicit attention due to physical need, pain, distress?

Not taking him places is an error.  He needs to be socialized.  If people are annoyed because of his whining, my pov is: too bad, walk away, no one is in handcuffs.  As for your response, no attention at all for whining (in fact, leaving the room) and some counter conditioning: interrupt whining with a whistle or a clap of hands, ask for sit, heavily reward and praise.  Do this periodically throughout the day, every day, and if this is strictly behavioral it will stop.

However, it may not be strictly behavioral.  I suggest you find a veterinary behaviorist so this young dog can have a true overall examination and temperament evaluation.  You might find one on the following sites:

http://www.veterinarybehaviorists.org/
http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/

I rarely go to the question pool (which is where I found your question) but it's never too late to try.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.