Canine Behavior/Crying and whining

Question
QUESTION: Hello, I have a Terrier/Eskimo/Poodle mix that is almost 3 years old (b-day is in April). He is a great dog and has a lot of energy once you get him going but normally he likes to sleep a lot. I just took him to a vet about 4 months ago for a check up and update on his shots. They said he was in perfect health. We moved to a new state and he seems happy despite the change but here is my problem... I let him out back to go potty and he goes then comes in yet a few minutes later he will start to cry and want to go outside again! I try to play with him indoors because we don't have a fenced in yard and live close to a wooded area but even when he is playing and after he still cries and wants to go outside. I observe him when he goes potty and nothing seems out of the ordinary, he has no trouble going to the bathroom and looks happy and curiously sniffs around the yard. It's actually getting very annoying to hear him cry when I'm trying to watch tv or do the dishes or clean house. Do you have an idea of why he would be doing this? Or how to stop him?

ANSWER: Could be he's eager to get out there and make his "mark", literally; could be he's responding to something he scents/hears, etc. when outdoors.  When you go out with him, give him plenty of time to eliminate; obtain some sense of when he needs to defecate (I know when my Poodle needs to defecate and she's fairly reliable unless she chooses not to eat for a day, which occasionally happens) so you will be prepared to spend extra time then.  Praise lavishly for any elimination.  Take him out at fair interals: four times daily is fair (early morning, early afternoon, late afternoon, before bed - when and if possible).  If the dog has not had a complete blood chemistry, urine sample, stool sample, orthopedic evaluation, he has not had a complete checkup.  Might want to run a blood chemistry and samples just to be safe.

Once dog has clear checkup, you'll know this is the start of something you want finished, right now.  Ignore the whining.  Leave the room the MOMENT he starts, count to ten, go back in.  At first, you might have to leave the room many times but the dog will soon connect his behavior (whining) with your leavetaking.  Upon re-arrival in the room, he may seem anxious, ask for "sit", praise, go on as usual.  Asking for "sit" is a bridge between his anxiety at your leavetaking and your return in order to avoid further stress.  If you respond to the whining, you are effectively TRAINING him to cue YOU, rather than the other way around.  Whining is a juvenile behavior, stress related/pain related, or acquired behavior because people react (thereby rewarding the dog).  Ignoring it totally will extinguish it unless there is a physical cause.

QUESTION: I know they took samples from him and blood (he hated the needle) and it all came back perfect. I think it might be the fact that there are wild and stray dogs that run around and like to sometimes 'mark' his yard. Thank you for answering so quickly and I will try to ignore him when he whines right after going outside.

Answer
If just ignoring it doesn't work, leave the room as I suggested.  As much of a pain as this is, after one day of it he will at least diminish in his behavior and then it should extinguish.  Also, as he habituates to the new surroundings, it should naturally extinguish. Re-post if you need further assistance.  Thanks.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.