Canine Behavior/Dog rubs his head in his own urine.

Question
My two year old bischon frise-yorkie mix has been rubbing his face in urine. This began when I first bought him when he was a puppy. He will rub his face in his urine sometimes until his face is dripping with it. He did this several times a week, and now does it once or twice a week. I potty trained him, and when he goes outside he does it there as well. I took him to a vet and they found no infection of any kind. I asked his vet why he does this and how to fix it, and he told me he never heard of a dog doing that. Sometimes he pees on his bedding and in his food bowl when it is empty. He has lived in the same home his entire life and has the same schedule every day. I don't know how to fix this, he is well behaved in every other way. He doesn't show any  behavior problems other than this.

Answer
Normally a dog will rub his face into a scent (bend down, scoot back and forth rubbing muzzle on both sides) as an artifact of behavior involved in "hunting": obtaining the scent of the article of interest in order to avoid being scented by that article (prey).  All of this is instinctual.  It is why a dog will rub itself into horse poop, cat poop, any unusual scent outdoors and even the scent of other dogs.  Urinating on his bed can be a sign of separation anxiety or even a sign of rank opportunism (as is urinating into his empty food bowl, as if to make a statement about the fact there's no food in it.)  Is this "normal"?  Yes, and no.  In this dog's case, rolling in his own urine is odd but it's not an indication of illness, it's a behavioral aberration.

First: go out with the dog and very, very closely observe him.  If he's on leash, it will be difficult for him to rub his face in the manner you described since you will immediately be able to interfere.  By "interfere" I mean, instantly redirect: carry a whistle, blow it at lowest volume when he is OBVIOUSLY about to rub is face in his urine.  The startle effect will stop him, count to five, ask for "sit", heavily reward (tiny food treat), go on as normal.  Dog will acquire avoidance because of interruption without acquiring fear response and will then connect your "sit" with the food reward.  This is called a "bridge behavior": first, stop unwanted behavior without psychologically or emotionally affecting the dog, create a new behavior (counter condition) immediately after that can be rewarded.  The "bridge" will eventually connect to the whistle and the dog may actually begin (over time) to stop and automatically sit.  If this happens, heavily reward and praise lavishly.  This counter conditioning may take weeks, perhaps longer.  Rubbing his face in his own urine can be the result of very poor neonatal environment or some sort of acquired behavior from observing the dam clean up after her puppies by consuming their urine and feces.

In the house, if you are leaving him alone remove his bed and replace it with something else (washable bathroom rug).  When his food bowl is empty (if you're free feeding never let it get empty), remove it immediately until next meal time.  Ask for "sit" before putting the bowl down so the dog will be "earning" his meal.  This should, over time, change his motivation and behavior and should stop him from urinating in the bowl.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.