Canine Behavior/drooling after 2 hours of meeting our new puppy

Question
Hi there, I was wondering I have a 3 year old boxer x Staffy boy and I just got a 3mth old boxer. He was fine after the first 2 hours now he is drooling a lot and trying to run into the house... will he get used to her? I'm worryed for his health.

Answer
Thank you for your question. There are lots of reasons why dogs may drool excessively. Clearly the first thing we need to rule out (and hopefully you were able to) is that he has NOT gotten into anything toxic. Excessive drooling is a common symptom seen with many different toxic ingestions.

Assuming your dog did not eat anything poisonous, excessive drooling is also a sign of increased arousal. This can be excitement, fear, or stress. If your dog and the new puppy were getting along very well, he may have just been very excited and so began drooling (increased blood pressure can cause this). I actually see increased drooling quite a bit in beginner obedience training classes when dogs don't have a lot of experience being around other dogs yet - they get so excited that their blood pressure and respiration increases , their pupils dilate, they drool more... the skin on white dogs will often show through their fur looking quite pink.

If your dog was unsure of the new puppy he may have been feeling stressed by her presence. If they were getting along and the she was taken inside, while he was left outside, then he may have been feeling stressed and even a bit jealous. You said that he was "trying to run into the house". I wonder why he was kept outside while she was brought in.  The new puppy should be an inside dog as puppies can't regulate their body temperature very well, so very warm and very cold weather are exaggerated to the puppy. But the best scenario is that the older dog is allowed to be in the house with the puppy. If he's used to being outside, and so gets quite excited when in, the best thing you can do is bring him in and keep him in more. The over excitement of coming indoors is directly related to how infrequently it happens. If the dog is in all the time - and especially long enough to get tired and take a nap - he will quickly learn to be calm and relaxed inside. You can begin by bringing him in at night to sleep, so he is at the end of his day, and then build up to having him inside when people are home so that he can be fully part of the family.

Now, I'm just making a guess as to whether or not the dog lives inside or out, based on the one comment about him trying to run into the house. I could be completely off base on that - but you didn't give me a lot of information about him or his lifestyle.

As for his relationship with the puppy, I encourage them to spend time together - supervised - so long as they're getting along. But they should have some separate time every couple hours. This separate time should last at least an hour. This allows both dogs to relax, calm down and nap. Dogs are not designed to be "on" for 8-12 hours straight. They are designed to be active for spurts of time, followed by napping. So until the puppy is a bit older and they're falling into routines with each other that includes down time, we can help them maintain a good relationship by creating that downtime. This can be done by putting puppy into a crate or playpen for some quiet chew time/nap time, allowing the older dog to be wherever he normally is with his own chew toy if he's interested in chewing. It can be putting them in separate rooms, or putting the older dog outside for a while if he likes to hang out outside. As the dogs get used to each other, and assuming they are getting along, you'll find them doing these patterns of play followed by relaxation on their own.

I expect you'll see less and less drooling as he gets to know her better and they get into their routines of play/nap.  You may see the drooling occur during or immediately after heavy play, or 'reunions' if they've been separated for a couple hours - any time that his arousal (excitement, fear or stress) is increased. While I expect that it's entirely related to the excitement of the new puppy, I would still encourage you to let your vet know, just in case they want to examine him. I am not a vet nor am I trained in veterinary medicine and I don't know all the various medical ailments that could manifest with excessive drooling.

Good luck. And congratulations on your newest family member. Please feel free to followup if I can be of further assistance.

Jody, APDT
Los Angeles Behaviorist
http://GoodDog-DogTraining.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT