Canine Behavior/fireworks

Question
my dog Nolan is a Canaan dog who was abused as a puppy and every new years/independence day he is so anxious that it worries us, he follows us everywhere we go and breathes hard and never stops shaking. what should we do?

Answer
Hi Tristan -

Generally New Year's and Independence Day celebrations include fireworks.  You may want to speak to Nolan's veterinarian about his anxiety.  I used to work at an animal hospital many years ago and many of our patients had an anti-anxiety medication that the vets prescribed for moments of fear and stress such as fireworks and thunderstorms.  Try to build his confidence by praising and rewarding good behavior (moments he's not afraid) Best of luck with your pup.

Canine Behavior

Jennifer Ganser, LMT, ABCDT