Canine Behavior/fireworks

my dog Nolan is a Canaan dog who was abused as a puppy and every new years/independence day he is so anxious that it worries us, he follows us everywhere we go and breathes hard and never stops shaking. what should we do?

Hi Tristan -

Generally New Year's and Independence Day celebrations include fireworks.  You may want to speak to Nolan's veterinarian about his anxiety.  I used to work at an animal hospital many years ago and many of our patients had an anti-anxiety medication that the vets prescribed for moments of fear and stress such as fireworks and thunderstorms.  Try to build his confidence by praising and rewarding good behavior (moments he's not afraid) Best of luck with your pup.

Canine Behavior

Jennifer Ganser, LMT, ABCDT

For canines I can answer questions related to behavior, obedience training, health and massage therapy (anatomy, health benefits) For equines I can answer questions related to behavior, barn management, health and massage therapy (anatomy, health benefits) I am not a veterinarian and it is not within my scope of practice as a licensed massage therapist or certified dog trainer to diagnose health conditions. Please contact your pet's veterinarian for illness related questions and emergencies.

I am a licensed massage therapist for people, horses, and dogs and a certified dog trainer. I teach group obedience classes as well as private lessons. I also work with horses and help barns establish good management practices.

Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) National Certification Board of Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB)

2009 - graduate of Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy 2010 - certified in canine/feline first aid + CPR by Red Cross 2012 - graduate of Post University equine program 2012 - graduate of Animal Behavior College Obedience program