Canine Behavior/Introducing my 4.5 year old Rottie to a baby stroller

Question
Hello,
  I am expecting my first child in early June of 2013 and I have a 4.5 year old Rottweiler named Terror. She weighs about 135 lbs and is a huge love bug. She is great with my friends children and has never shown any known signs of people aggression. She is very well trained and even though she has her stubborn moments listens very well. I am worried on how she would react to walking along side a stroller. She doesn't mind cars or other big noisy objects on our walks but then again she is used to only walking next to me. I am very nervous that she'll react negatively or be afraid of it. How can I introduce her to a stroller on our walks without scaring her mentally and causing her to be terrified of it?
-Lyla

Answer
First: your anxiety is contagious to your dog.  
Second: dogs and babies don't mix, don't ever leave them alone together

Have your husband walk with you.  Ask him to "meet" you halfway through the walk, pushing the stroller.  Observe the dog closely as he approaches.  Let him speak her name (wearing no hat or scarf, clearly identifiable as himself).  If she is clearly happy to see him, he should praise her LAVISHLY when you "connect".  At that point, swap dog for stroller and walk parallel together.  Stop occasionally if dog shows interest in stroller and allow her to sniff it.  If she backs away at any point, turn your back on her and wait until she has settled down and is clearly looking at YOU now, then turn back and go on, casually.

Report back using followup feature after your initial "set up".  I think under these controlled circumstances, the dog will do just fine.  We'll go from there.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.