Canine Behavior/Paw preference in dogs

I am doing my science fair project on paw preference. How can you tell if the results is a preference or if it is just a coincidence?

Hi Brooke -

This is an interesting question.  In most of my experience with dogs, cats, and horses, the animals seem to be more left dominant.  However, your question lead me to do some reading on the internet and I found a pretty interesting article (link below)that has scientific findings regarding left, right, or ambidextrous tendencies.  There are also a few "tests" outlined in the article so maybe you could get a few dogs together and videotape the tests to track and prove your findings.  Best of luck with your project.  I hope this is helpful.  You can always search the internet for paw preference...lots of articles come up but the one I included seemed like the best.  Good-luck!  

Canine Behavior

Jennifer Ganser, LMT, ABCDT

For canines I can answer questions related to behavior, obedience training, health and massage therapy (anatomy, health benefits) For equines I can answer questions related to behavior, barn management, health and massage therapy (anatomy, health benefits) I am not a veterinarian and it is not within my scope of practice as a licensed massage therapist or certified dog trainer to diagnose health conditions. Please contact your pet's veterinarian for illness related questions and emergencies.

I am a licensed massage therapist for people, horses, and dogs and a certified dog trainer. I teach group obedience classes as well as private lessons. I also work with horses and help barns establish good management practices.

Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) National Certification Board of Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB)

2009 - graduate of Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy 2010 - certified in canine/feline first aid + CPR by Red Cross 2012 - graduate of Post University equine program 2012 - graduate of Animal Behavior College Obedience program