Canine Behavior/Paw preference in dogs

Question
I am doing my science fair project on paw preference. How can you tell if the results is a preference or if it is just a coincidence?

Answer
Hi Brooke -

This is an interesting question.  In most of my experience with dogs, cats, and horses, the animals seem to be more left dominant.  However, your question lead me to do some reading on the internet and I found a pretty interesting article (link below)that has scientific findings regarding left, right, or ambidextrous tendencies.  There are also a few "tests" outlined in the article so maybe you could get a few dogs together and videotape the tests to track and prove your findings.  Best of luck with your project.  I hope this is helpful.  You can always search the internet for paw preference...lots of articles come up but the one I included seemed like the best.  Good-luck!

http://woofreport.com/more-bones-to-chew-on/2414-all-about-paw-preference-in-dog  

Canine Behavior

Jennifer Ganser, LMT, ABCDT