Canine Behavior/Pee on Bed

Hello, I have a 1 year old male frenchie. When he arrived home I bought a little bed for him and he pee on it every time I washed it, finally I gave up and put some blankets in his house, this worked, no pee on the blankets or his house.  He got trained and pees when he walks outside and sometimes on the newspaper in the patio where he stays.  But everytime he gets inside the house and we are not watching him he runs and pees on my bed, or one of the children's beds, this started a few months ago.  He is just waiting to be alone to do this, so I can not let him inside unless I'm with him, what can I do to prevent this behavior.

Remove the newspaper and let the dog INTO THE HOUSE.  He is highly anxious, being isolated from his "family" and is marking beds to "remind" you that he is there.

Close bedroom doors.  Put the dog on very lightweight long leash with handle cut off and keep him in the room with you.  There might be a great deal of activity in your household (if you have children) and the dog might be confused by it.  TAKE him outdoors and reward/praise every single elimination.  Inside, as well as the house tab (leash), use belly bands.  You can purchase them here:

Be certain the dog is not harassed by the children (no condemnation of the kids, but it's common for kids to tease dogs and chase them, etc.)  The belly band will totally prevent him from urinating in the house.  He must be house trained, not given double messages (as is happening with the newspaper).  Have patience.  Think of this as rather like toilet training a toddler!

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.