Canine Behavior/my staffie keeps going for my other dog

Question
Hi
I've got a staffie who is a bitch and have had her since she was 5wks old. When i met my partner he had a Basset who came with him. They are both around the same age which is 4 years old. When they first met they got on fine in the house and on walks,and use to play lovely together.  lately my staffie has started going for her,for really no reason. The staffie seems to be very protective around the children not just mine my partners as well and me. The staffie like to try and lick the bassets face and other dogs, but as soon as she goes to move the staffie will have a go.  i praise them both together and treat them both together but have you got any advice that will help. Thanks

Answer
First: this cannot be an American Staffordshire Terrier ("Staffie") because no legitimate breeder would ever allow a puppy to go at the tender age of five weeks.

Second: these are two bitches and there IS a "reason" this is happening but you cannot identify it (perfectly normal since you are not an expert in dog behavior).   "Protective" around the children is a huge problem for me.  This Pit Bull's reaction to other dogs as you describe is aberrant: licking is an appeasement behavior that should never be followed by aggression.  Because she was separated from litter mates and dam at far too young an age and most likely not properly socialized to other dogs, her signals are confused and are confusing to other dogs.

In the UK there are many sources for those who are (supposedly) expert in dog behavior (NOT dog "training").  A dog that demonstrates aggression toward other dogs is at risk of demonstrating aggression toward people, especially children.  You must have the dog and your situation carefully evaluated.

Here are some links to sources of certified applied animal behaviorists in the UK
http://asab.nottingham.ac.uk/accred/reg.php
http://www.coape.org/pfn/index.html
http://www.johnrogerson.com/consultation.html
http://www.iaabc.org/  

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.