Canine Behavior/over zealous dog

Question
Whenever my son brings his dog over to my home during holiday dinners and such. His dog will not leave my guests alone. She is a 2yr old lab/pit mix. She is a sweet dog, but expects constant attention from everyone.  She loves to play with her ball and wants everyone to toss the ball to her in the house or play tug of war with one of her toys.  She also trys to lick everyones hands or stick her nose in everyones lap believing everyone wants to play with her.  My son will lock her up in my bedroom, which causes her to whine as though she thinks she is being punished. I hate doing that to her and would like her to be around our guests, but I do not want her to constantly bother people.  Is there some training method we could try?

Answer
This dog's behavior is a display of social anxiety.  She is uncertain in her surroundings (status) and is demonstrating juvenile appeasement behavior (licking) and attention seeking in order to feel more at ease and find a place where she "belongs".  She's also very young and immature and a breed mix that is notoriously hyperactive (i.e. will drive you nuts) until about 3 years of age (or even longer!)  Confining her isn't fair, he's better off leaving her at home actually.  It's confusing and isolating and furthering her anxiety.

Here's what you can try:  keep the dog on leash when she is in your home.  Pay absolutely no attention to her at all if she displays the behavior that annoys you (this is NOT cruel even though I know it FEELS that way).  Your first impulse is to be kind and not want her to feel rejected and this is a testimony of you, yourself, as a fine human being but THIS IS A DOG, not a child.  In order to "teach" a dog its "place" one must deal with the dog in its own culture.  By ignoring ALL attention seeking and attention demanding behavior, you are actually making a calming statement to her about her social status in your home (YOU are at the top, she is at the bottom).  Next step:  use "sit" (taught with positive reinforcement) to GIVE her attention.  You can teach the dog this quite easily (you and the dog, no other people present) in the following manner:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1W_3CDVVqo&feature=related

If you were to spend one day every week for the next two to three weeks with the dog in your home for a few hours and do nothing but randomly interact while teaching "sit", she will have an acquired conditioned response to YOUR command (cue) in YOUR environment.  You will then have the upper hand in terms of how to redirect her anxiety: when she is anxious and demanding, pick up the leash, ignore her, wait for her to calm, cue her to "sit" and THEN give her attention.  Do this when she is interfering with your guests (and let's not flood her by bringing her to a full blown party or a house full of relatives on a holiday).  Slowly she will begin to understand that YOU are in control and that she must "work" on your cue for the attention she craves.  Do not make her ball available to her (no, this isn't mean).  Do much as you would for a rambunctious, temper throwing toddler: ignore what you don't like, reward what you like.  (It's easier with a dog LOL).

Any more questions use followup (so I can see original question/answer).  There's NO "dominance" or any other such foolishness involved here.  There's simply an immature, anxious dog who wants to "belong".

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.