Canine Behavior/dog running through electric fence

Question
My 2 year old Dalmatian just started running through her electric fence while we are away at work. We've also noticed some other body language we've either never seen in her before or only when she's very afraid like in a thunderstorm. The new behaviors are shaking off and bending her body sideways (not in a happy way) for awhile after we've gotten home and she's in the house. We have a cornfield next to us and we thought maybe the sound of the dry rustling corn spooks her, but she will happily run through it if her 'dad' is with her. When we are in the yard she will go also and is happy when she has a ball to chase, but when she has to be by herself while we do yard work she will bark at the field or sit tensely and stare at it. When I come home at lunch she is anxious to get in the house but paces and whines looking for 'dad' and sometimes does nervous lip licking or tongue flicking before she gets into the house. Does this sound like fear of sounds or like an animal has come into the yard while we are away and scared her? The worst thing for us is finding her outside the yard on the country road. We are afraid she's going to get hit. I could increase the perimeter a little, but not sure it will help.

Answer
GET RID OF THE COLLAR THAT SHOCKS HER BECAUSE OF THE ELECTRIC FENCE.  THROW IT AWAY.

A dog that "gets through" the shock (and I challenge you: put this collar around your neck and walk through the fence, you'd better have a strong heart) cannot GET BACK IN.  If she SAW or HEARD something in the corn field that prompted her to go through that fence, she now has a conditioned fear response to the CORN FIELD because her attention was fully on it, she ignored the beep warning, she got shocked (and IT HURTS) and found herself outside and unable to get back "in".

A small fenced in area (20 square feet) around your back yard might cost you up to $3,000 (mine did) or far less (if your husband is handy).  DO IT.  Until then, use a long training leash and GO OUT WITH YOUR DOG EVERY SINGLE TIME ON LEASH.  Ignore fear response, reward (praise) happy and relaxed attitude.  Keep outings short: long enough to eliminate (and praise/reward elimination on leash) and make them fair (at least four times daily).

Eventually (she's young, it might not take long) she will lose her conditioned fear response BUT ONLY if YOU and your husband display a HAPPY UPBEAT ATTITUDE when you are out there with her (unless she appears fearful: then, turn your back, wait for her to come around to make face contact, ask for "sit" and have a "party" when she does it, just not too loud so as not to scare her.)  The electric fence is one of the worst inventions in dog ownership and containment.  It has caused severe psychological and emotional trauma is many dogs I have seen in my practice and, in some cases, has resulted in the irrevocable loss of the dog or its death on the road.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.