Canine Behavior/Nocturnal barking

Question
We acquired Bear, a rescue chocolate Labrador, six months ago as a companion for our recently bereaved, 10 year-old, blind PBGV.  Bear is thought to be seven.  The two dogs get on pretty well.  For the first five months, we thought Bear must never have learned to bark, but over the last few weeks he has begun barking in the night.  It's not every night and it's not often that he starts up again once one of us has come down to him.  He does have some kind of skin problem, the source of which is still to be determined by our vet (we suspect it will prove to be some allergic reaction; Tati, the PBGV, is atopic and has to be medicated regularly).  He scratches a lot, rolls in the rough grass in our field and vocalises quite often (not barks, though) when scratching.  We've tried a talk-station radio on low all night; a low light all night; coming down and comforting him; coming down and scolding him; coming down and letting him out (but he never seems to require that solution).  He's not barking at sounds outside because Tati would be much more likely to do so and he keeps shtum when Bear barks.  If it is separation anxiety, it's hard to know how to combat it overnight.  The dogs are not allowed upstairs and both of them have always seemed to accept that easily and happily.  But obviously we can't go on with this problem because it is disrupting our lives.  Please advise.  Thanks so much for your time.

Answer
First: your PBGV is blind and not very likely to comprehend (cognitively) the cause of Bear's barking.  Barking is communication:

http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB989

It is an alarm.  The Lab is not a "watch" dog but it is a hunting dog.  Rolling in the rough grass may be an indication that this hunting breed is acquiring the scent of the "prey" and it may also be the reason he has a skin rash.  Skin rashes are not all that complicated in a dog (microscopic examination) unless they are: allergic reaction to food or substance (such as treatment of your lawn) or emotional (just as in humans: eczema).  

I do not think this is separation anxiety, I think it might be scent related or even hearing related.  If your PBGV is blind, his hearing might also be impaired.  It's quite possible you have an "unwanted visitor" on your property (in the UK, I have no idea what that might be but I must say I know Foxes are ubiquitous pests and also carry various skin disorders and fleas).

"Going down" to calm him is rewarding him.  Actually his barking is INTENDED TO GET YOUR ATTENTION (as higher ranking in social hierarchy).  Normally, when a human responds to barking, and gives the "shush" or "it's okay" signal and then retreats, a dog will stop barking unless there is a persistent "threat" that the Humans don't acknowledge.  

Bear is reacting to something real, and something that is affecting his health.  If your veterinarian is unable to determine (with various tests) what that is, find another one.  Meanwhile, this problem will not "disrupt" your lives if you can extinguish it but first you must find cause and second, you must STOP RESPONDING by going downstairs.  This is not a simple situation.  The dog has visible physical results (from stress or some contact allergy) and is doing his "job" (because his pack mate is, and he knows it, seriously dysfunctional due to blindness).

You might want to find a veterinary behaviorist.  I can point you to two of the top animal behaviorists in your country who might be able to counsel you and give you the names of veterinary behaviorists.  Bear is not the problem and his late night barking CAN be extinguished, but we must first IDENTIFY the original problem:

http://www.johnrogerson.com/consultation.html
http://www.coape.org/pfn/index.html

Don't give up on this dog, he's a darn good dog to have accepted a pack-mate like your PBGV.  This can be fixed.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.