Canine Behavior/Adopted dog will not get along with my other dog

Question
I'm really hoping you can give me some kind of insight on this because I'm puzzled as to why it's happening.  I have a 1yr old male english bulldog "Hank". We've had him since he was 6wks old. We currently rescued a female english bulldog "Lola". She is 3.5yr old.  We actually are Lola's 3rd home. She was rescued from a puppy mill almost 2yrs ago. The lady we got her from had adopted her and had for about a year. The lady had a french bulldog in the house which was best of pals with Lola. They would lay together and everything. The lady said she never showed any sign of aggression. She also had her crate trained.  
When we brought Lola home hank wasn't sure what to do. They kind of tip toed around each other for a week and then they slowly started getting close with one another.  Playing and laying with each other.  This went on for a few weeks.  Hank is not crate trained so I leave them both out when my boyfriend and I go to work. Then all of a sudden Lola flipped like a light switch! She stated jumping on hank for no reason. Nasty fights where their hurting each other and cutting each other up. Their both stubborn so neither want to back down.  I've been having to seperate them and walking her on a leash when I take her out.  I was so concerned that I took her to the vet because I didn't understand why she changed all of a sudden. Test from blood work and all came back fine. The only thing that showed up was she has a lil hip displaycia and her spine is deteriorating. he put her on some medicine and she's feeling a lil better I can tell. But she only wants to play with me or my boyfriend. She really wants nothing to do with hank now. It breaks my heart. I've been separating them. We have a baby gate in the kitchen where I keep her, but lately she can't stand to hear him and if she sees him walk by she goes growling at the gate and runs into it. So then he runs towards it too growling. Now I've been keeping her seperate in  the bedroom where she can't even see him. But it's so unfair!
We having been taking them on walks together on the afternoon and they do really well. They walk beside each other with no problem. They've bumped into each other and there's no conflict.
Please help me to understand why she acting this way all of a sudden. The girl I adopted her from can't believe it. She said Lola never showed any aggression!

Maybe she needs Prozac for dogs??

Thank you so much!!

Answer
If Lola was such a great dog in her former home and got along SO WELL with their other dog and never showed any sign of aggression - WHY WAS SHE DUMPED ON YOU?

People lie.  Now you're seeing why she was dumped on you.

The first few weeks of any dog in a new home should start with them (day one) introduced outdoors, on leash, off property, and walked parallel to read their body language.  The "new" dog should then be allowed into the house AFTER the resident dog and put on long training leash so it is clear to her and to the resident dog "who is who" in social hierarchy: you first (at the end of the tether), the resident dog second (after other humans of course).  Then the new dog after two two three weeks is allowed with trailing house tab (lightweight leash with handle cut off), confined to certain areas (while resident dog is allowed all areas), made to sleep separately (even from resident dog), etc. for another few weeks.  During this time new dog must be taught (using positive reinforcement) to "sit" and earn EVERYTHING: attention, food, play time, going out, coming back in, while walking outdoors on leash parallel to resident dog.  In this manner, some peace is immediately structured UNTIL temperament and past history kicks in.

Coming from a puppy mill, Lola has had no socialization to other dogs and is intolerant of them most likely because the only time she EVER had contact with one (especially a male) is when she was FORCED to breed.  Her puppies were removed from her far too soon (Most of this breed can't even free whelp, they need C sections).  

You need the expert eye of a Certified Canine Behaviorist.  That professional needs to observe the body language of both your dogs: for some reason, your male (contrary to all dog culture) is not acquiescing to Lola as he should.  This might be because her body language is confusing, because he has become afraid of her, or simply because HE is not well socialized to other dogs, either.  NO DOG TRAINERS, expert with educational and experiential credentials only.  Find one at one of these sites or by calling the veterinary college in your area:

http://certifiedanimalbehaviorist.com/page6.html
http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/caab-directory

I can't, ethically, suggest any behavior modification since this bitch has now escalated to "fight on sight" with this dog (unusual, typically happens between females).  Her orthopedic issues might very well be contributing but, basically this is a temperament flaw.  Your CAAB will be able to advise you and I would contact AKC site for English Buldog rescue (although they are most likely overwhelmed because of the number of puppy mills and backyard breeders).

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.