Canine Behavior/Behavior

Question
Hello, my apartment is on the first floor of the house i rent with my landlords above us. The floors and walls are poorly insulated from being an old house and they have heavy feet and slam doors etc.....we often here thumps and banging sounds from them walking around which makes my dog bark every time....this has been going on for months now and we tell him "no", "stop it" and "its okay" assuming he would get use to it by now and realize it is nothing bad but since he cant see and dont know where the sound is coming from is why he barks....is there anything me and my fiancee can do to stop him from reacting to the sounds?

Answer
Thank you for your question. This is a common problem for dog owners, especially when they move to a new space (to an apartment from a house, or to a lower floor when they used to live above). Dogs are vigilant about telling us when something out of the ordinary is occurring. For your dog, those noises (in the beginning) could have been a pending intruder and so he told you about it - also his barks let that possible intruder know they are not welcome.

For most dogs, those noises soon become background as the dog learns they are irrelevant to his direct life - those noises never mean someone is coming into his space. In your case, your efforts to quiet him by telling him "no" or "stop it" have served as unintentional punishers. I'm sure you weren't intending to punish him, but the scolding worked as a punisher and so he made an association that the noises from above predict that he gets in trouble. And so the problem has continued or possibly gotten worse because now the barking has taken on a new meaning. It's no longer just "Hey! There's a possible intruder!" Now, it is "Hey, go away, I don't want to get in trouble!" and this warning by your dog is followed by a scold "Stop it. No.", which reinforces for your dog that those noises predict trouble for him...

Occasionally telling him "it's okay" in an effort to reassure him didn't help because it's effectively been a mixed signal being only some of the time, while the rest of the time he gets scolded.

So, here's the fastest way to help him feel better. It may take several weeks since he's had several months to practice barking at those noises. Or he may surprise you and you'll see a real difference in just several days.

Instead of telling him "no" or "stop it" or "quiet," every time there's a noise from above, toss him a treat. Since you said this happens frequently, you'll need to reduce his regular ration of food to accommodate the extra goodies. We don't want to create a quiet obese dog... we just want him to learn that those noises from above predict good things and so aren't so scary after all.

So, keep his favorite treats in a dish near by, but out of his reach. You may need to have several dishes in strategic locations (near the computer, near the couch where you watch TV, in the bedroom, etc). Every time there's a thump or bang from above, toss a treat to him. For the first few days, you may even toss 2 or 3 treats each time (they don't have to be big, just a small bite). Then after a few days, you can back off to a single tasty bite every time there's a thump. As you reach for the treat to toss, tell him something like "noises" or "monsters" (in a silly voice, not a scary voice), or "neighbors" or whatever word you like. Just a single word, and be consistent so that both you and your fiancee say the same word, with the same cheerful tone to it.

So the whole scenario will play out like this:
Noise from above
"Monsters!!!" (while you reach for a few tasty treats)
Toss treats
Dog eats treats.

A minute later, more noises from above
Toss treats
Dog eats treats.

You can also use a command such as "Find it!" in a cheerful voice. I use this command every time there's something on the floor that my dogs are allowed to eat. Sort of the opposite of "leave it" and it tells my dogs to search the floor because there's a goody waiting for them. If you haven't already introduced that command, just use it in place of "Monsters" here and within a day or two, he'll know that it means there's food on the floor for him.

Make sure you toss the food where he can see it.

This process will make a paired association for your dog that the noises from above reliably predict a bite of his favorite treat. Within a couple weeks you should see a dramatic reduction in his barking, and instead he'll hear the noise and either look at you or come running to you if he's in another room, looking for the treat. That when you know you've got him! At that point, you can start to incorporate other things he loves - such as tug, fetch, belly rubs, sweet talk, etc, and then you can rotate so that food is only presented about 30% of the time when there's noise, but on other occasions it's one of the 6-10 other things on his list of favorite activities. And it doesn't have to be long. It can be just 10-30 seconds of love/play/praise just to reinforce that the noise from above still means good things for him.

In the beginning, you'll do his favorite treat 100% of the time for every bump, thump and bang from above. This may mean that half his daily calories are coming outside his regular meal times. If he really likes his kibble, then use his kibble for the bulk of these tossed tidbits, but also include a few special bonus bites of a favorite treat.

Once he's stopped barking and is clearly looking to you for reinforcement instead of barking, then you can start to present other things in place of food for many of the noises, still throwing food in a few times per day. This will actually improve his new response for you. And before you know it, he'll be happy and excited every time they make noise upstairs.

If you find that he ends up giving excited, playful barks - that's actually good because we've clearly taught him that the noises mean something different. Now, you can tone it down by giving quiet praise and cuddles, rather than high-energy tug/wrestle/fetch if that's getting him too excited.

I hope this proves helpful. Please feel free to followup if I can be of further assistance.

Jody, CPDT-KA, APDT
Los Angeles Behaviorist
http://GoodDog-DogTraining.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT