Canine Behavior/Canine Attachment

Question
I have a seven year old Doberman.  He's a wonderful dog and I'm grateful that he is so attached to me.  My concern is that wherever I am, he wants to be within three feet of me and if I'm seated he insists that I pet him.  I adopted him several years ago and don't know how he was treated before he came to me.  He's my fourth Dobie in the last fifteen years ... all of them have been "needy" but this one is ridiculous.  Help!

Answer
The dog is seven years old and, in Doberman years (at least in the majority) that is "old".  "insists that I pet him" is your interpretation.  You are rewarding whatever "insistence" the dog is actually offering.  You DO NOT HAVE TO PET HIM because of your perception.  If you want this to stop simply get up and walk away for fifteen seconds, and re-seat yourself.  The dog gets attention when YOU are willing to give it.  This sounds cruel but, in the dog culture, this is the way of social hierarchy and the dog will "get it" and stop "demanding".

A dog from a former life can be a problem (if there are seriously acquired negative behaviors) but this "neediness" is REINFORCED by your response, which only makes the dog MORE "needy" because, in the dog culture, a dog is not able to make demands for attention on those higher in the social hierarchy.  So therefor, the "neediness" is enabled and it goes against the dog's own nature.

If he wants to be near you, that's fine.  So does my dog.  I'd much rather a dog that chose to be near me (because I am higher in social hierarchy) than one who doesn't "care".  How you respond to YOUR perception of his further "needs" is defining your relationship.

You do not have to "pet" a dog because YOU perceive the dog wants/needs to be petted.  A brief scratch behind the ears and then ignoring the dog's further attempts will work and will make the dog more relaxed and secure (since you are now behaving as one higher in social hierarchy, approachable upon "invitation", not "demand".)

Your dog might also be demonstrating a biological problem: perhaps he is in pain (orthopedic), perhaps he is suffering some loss of cognition, etc.

I suggest you find a veterinary behaviorist who can do an overall assessment of your dog.  Should the dog be suffering from some biologic cause, this professional will be able to give medication to help the dog.  You should be able to find one in your area from the following sites or by calling the veterinary college in your area:

http://www.veterinarybehaviorists.org/
http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/  

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.