Canine Behavior/Dog attack

We live on a farm , we have had 5 dogs 2 cockers( house dogs ) 1-corgi cocker cross (outside)2almost 2 yr old golden retrievers (inside  and outside dogs)  The retrievers are the youngest of all the dogs and have been here since they were 8 weeks when the girls got them they are sisters and have their squabbles. My daughter took hers to live in the city and on the weekend returned for a visit  after being away the retrievers were not overjoyed at their reunion but all was good after a bit. The problem they packed and attacked one of the cocker spaniels they attacked viciously her neck leaving her bleeding and requiring over100 stitches to her neck and tendon muscular repair until now there has never been a problem. Since the incident the one retriever went back home  I am nervous when she comes back next and wondering what could have happened and how do we prevent this from happening again

That dog CANNOT COME BACK TO YOUR HOME for any reason.

The "attack" you describe was potentially life ending, not a per-emptory warning or statement of social hierarchy.  The Retrievers, from same litter, are close in temperament; there is a problem already right there.  They have "packed up" against a Cocker Spaniel bitch who must present to them (in dog "language") as a "omega" (victim dog).

Your daughter needs to leave her dog in a well established, well known and safe and humane, kennel before visiting you or you will have hell to pay.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.