Canine Behavior/Dog intentionally urinating in bed after being nuetered

Question
Hello, I have a pit bull that is nineteen months old. We just had him nuetered about three weeks ago.
He sleeps in our bed with us at night. Every time we walk out of the room, he urinates on the bed.
Now, he just urinated on my girlfriends daughters bed in the next room. He did not start this behavior until after we had him nuetered. I thought neutering was suppose decrease marking of territory, if this is what it is.
Why is he doing it and how do we get him to stop. Please help.

Answer
Thank you for your question. I'm going to need some more information in order to provide some thoughts and suggestions for you. Please reply to this response, answering each of the questions below.

Is he emptying his bladder? Or is he just leaving a little bit, like dribbling? Have you spoken with the vet yet? A new and sudden change in potty habits, especially shortly after a medical procedure in that area, should be brought to their attention. There may have been some damage or irritation to some local nerves.

Is he still going potty in the right place throughout the day? Asking to go out, or taking himself out if he has ready access? Is this only happening at night? Or is he having potty accidents during the day as well? Is it only on the beds or has he had accidents in other locations?

Was he kept overnight at the vet's for his surgery? Has he been particularly clingy since the surgery?

Was he sleeping with your girlfriend's daughter this time, or did he just wander into her room, get up on her bed and pee?

While it can take a few weeks for the testosterone levels to diminish after neutering, the process of neutering doesn't induce hormone-based behaviors. If he wasn't marking before the procedure, it wouldn't suddenly manifest after. There is something else going on.

Please speak to your vet, make sure there's nothing physical going on, and then reply to me. Let me know what your vet said, and if it's not physical, answer the above questions and we'll go from there.

I look forward to your prompt reply.

Jody, CPDT-KA, APDT
Los Angeles Behaviorist
http://GoodDog-DogTraining.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT