Canine Behavior/My dog licking other dogs

QUESTION: I have a 11 month Great Dane name ivy and a  6 month beagle name turbo. turbo is always licking ivy and when i make him stop his bottom lip  shakes.its really disturbing and want to know why this happens and what can i do to stop?

ANSWER: the "lip shaking" you describe might be "chatter", a dog responding to a pheromone, compulsively.  (For instance: a dog might scent the urine of another dog and raise its head with a chatter: lip shaking).  You don't state the sex of these dogs or if either or both has been neutered or spayed.  You don't state under what conditions this licking occurs and HOW you "make him stop".  You'll have to further explain this scenario for me to hazard a response at counter conditioning.  Hormone replacement therapy or hormonal intervention given by injection for a short term by a veterinarian might also help but you will need a veterinary behaviorist for this.  Please repost with greater amount of information using followup feature.

QUESTION: I have a 11 month female not neutered Great Dane and a 6 month male beagle not spayed. The beagle turbo is always licking the Dane private and I'll spray him with a water bottle, i tried pushing him away from her but when i do his bottom lip chatters.  I try keeping a eye on him but everyone i look around he's at it. The Dane is always liking herself and if i dont stop her one if her leg shakes. What's going on here?

Spay the bitch and neuter the male.  You are seeing a male responding to female pheromones (close to, or into estrus) and a female responding to her own pheromones (most likely in estrus).  These two can 'LOCK ON' one another in two seconds and then you will have a pregnant Great Dane.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.