Canine Behavior/Dominant aggression

Question
Hello, we have a corgi, lab, terrier mix.  When we visit family and friends with other dogs, she most likely will go after the other dog.  Growling, showing fangs, and nipping very aggressively to perhaps establish her dominance?  Alone, she is very calm and friendly toward humans, although she may bark when first encountered for less then a minute until petted.
We would like to put a stop to this behavior, if possible.  Walking her with the other dogs helps for a while, but she may still go after the other dog, too.  We've tried removing her after each episode, but that also only works for a while.  When held back and soothed, she may whimper to be let go, and attack the other dog again.  
Any advise?
Thx

Answer
Dog to dog aggression can be the result of inadequate, or totally absent, socialization to other dogs when the dog in question was 14 weeks of age and younger.  It can also be the result of miscommunication between dog and handler ("soothing" her rewards her fight/flight mechanism, she is not "thinking" through this, there's no cognition involved).

The obvious solution is: this dog IS NOT A CANDIDATE for dog to dog interaction, no matter how much you wish it weren't so.

The next solution requires a certified applied animal behaviorist.  I'd need a full history of your dog's life and training as well as an "eyes on" ability to see her body language when another dog approaches, I can't see anything from here.  IF you want to ATTEMPT to rehabilitate this problem (using positive reinforcement training, counter conditioning, etc.) you need a real life professional.

No problem finding one in NYC, just be sure the person has educational credentials (NO "dog whisperers please!) and references, especially veterinary references.  If you are in or near Manhattan, Animal Medical Center most likely has referrals.  If not, try these sites:

http://certifiedanimalbehaviorist.com/page6.html
http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/caab-directory

Because there MAY NOT BE an easily identifiable cause (to the average person), persisting to expose your dog to other dogs, knowing the outcome, is an error.  Most aggression is fear based, not "dominance" (quite rare and usually confined to specific breed type).  

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.