Canine Behavior/min. dachsund behavior

Question
I have an older (approx. 14 yrs) dach. female. We also have a younger (5 yrs) male yorkie mix they have always gotten along this is not the issue. The older dog seems to have her days and nights mixed up. We all go to bed fairly early 9:00 on week nights and by 11:30 or 12:00 she is up either sitting in kitchen or by the steps leading downstairs just yiping or barking. We moved into an upstairs apt. with only an inside access about three weeks ago at first she refused to go down the steps to go outside-we have gotten her to do so now and she is used to this. But, this getting up at all hours is driving me insane. She never did this at our old home unless she had to go potty really bad. Please help me if you can because I cannot tolerate any more sleepless nights thank you so much! Susan

Answer
At age 14, your Doxie is not as able to make adjustment to a new environment as your other dog.  Add to that her apparent fear of the steps (perhaps she has orthopedic issues, spine or patella etc. you are not aware of).  If you observe her urinating outdoors immediately before you retire at night (GO DOWN WITH HER) and you know she doesn't really have a "need" to "go", you must ignore the whining at the door.  In fact, it might be best to accustom her and the other dog to sleep in an area where she has no access to the spots she has chosen to "alert" you.  By responding you are inadvertently rewarding the behavior.

I strongly suggest you see a veterinary behaviorist.  You can find one from the following sites or by calling the veterinary college in your geographical area.  Such a professional will be able to do an overall evaluation of your dog and may prescribe medication to relieve her stress and enhance her cognition.  This person should also be able to advise you further on behavior modification.

http://www.veterinarybehaviorists.org/
http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/

Please remember this is your lifetime companion who is reaching an advanced age and requires some TLC.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.