Canine Behavior/our aggressive dog

Question
Bently is a german shepherd/saint bernard mix. He is 11 months old. This issue started several months ago and is now out of control. Bentley started 'snapping' at children. Now he snaps at adults as well. Yesterday, he actually bit me and drew blood. The neighbor kid knocked on my door for my son and as I was talking to him Bentley tried to rush past me. This being the same kid that he snapped at a few days prior. I grabbed him by the collar and when I did I received 3 puncture marks on the hand. My 7 year old son is afraid to walk past him. My wife on the other hand, loves him and is his best friend. She thinks that this is a minor issure and most of the time wont speak to me about it. There are  never any consequence for his actions from her because he rarely does it in front of her and when he does she simply 'has a talk' with him. Im on my last leg with this. I dont feel that she is going to take the time and effort to really fix this problem and I dont think that I can. He growls and shows teeth and will slowly move towards me while doing this when I try and tell him no or put him in isolation. I need to know when its time to get rid of the dog. And how do I make my wife understand the severity of the situation? Losing him would be like cutting off her right arm. Thanks for any feedback.

Answer
Whitney  Thank you for writing in.

You have a very serious issue which MUST be addressed.  If you have not researched the dog bite laws in your state you need to so so immediately.  Georgia is a "one bite law" state white means that if Bentley bites someone and the bite is reported  your dog will be labeled a vicious or dangerous dog.  It is quite possible that Bentley will be confiscated and euthanized.  Since Bentley's first bite on you caused several punctures and drew blood, this tells that as he becomes a more experienced biter the bites will become worse.  

Since your family has knowledge that Bentley has a propensity to bite, this increases your personal Liability for any further bites he inflicts.  Your liability could be significant monetarily.  You could even face criminal charges

Since your son's.friend observed what he did, and since there is something on the Internet for anyone who does their research, there can be no denying that you knew about Bentley's bitimg.

Your wife needs to seriously cease denying the truth about Bentley's behavior.  I STRONGLY recommend that you see.a professional dog trainer Well-versed in working with dogs such as Bentley and/or see.a.veterinary behaviorist at once.  Please.do immediate research on dog bite law in Georgia with your partner so that you are both aware of the legal ramifications of owning such a dog and so your partner can recognize how serious is this issue.  Last but not least, I would be very concerned about anyone who.comes into your home or to your door regarding their safety.  Keep Bentley securely in another room away from any visitors.  My take on this, based on what you've written, is that Bentley is quite a large dog who can inflict serious damage on someone if he so chooses.  Please don't allow that to happen.

Madeline  

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.