Canine Behavior/my dog

Question
I have a rescue dog and he was previously abused. He is around 9 months old. Whenever I go towards him and reach out to him, he immediately backs out. He is not afraid of me but I think it is because of PTSD, he naturally moves back. If I extend out my hand,he would come towards it and starts playing with it. However, once I start moving towards him, he retreats. How do I solve this issue? thanks

Answer
Walking directly toward a dog (any dog, unless one that has been very well socialized and recognizes Human body language as non-threatening), especially with eye contact, is a direct threat.  Reaching out - this dog has experienced hand contact in an extremely negative way, so that is also non-productive in building trust.  Many people think their "rescue" dogs were "abused" when, in fact, the dog(s) might actually have never been properly socialized or habituated to living with people; however, as we both sadly acknowledge, real abuse does exist.  Unless you know for a fact the personal history of this dog, trying to determine why he is doing what he is doing is a waste of time.  Instead, let's address it.

Do not approach in a straight line, directly, making eye contact.  Let's try this for two weeks (report back using followup feature so I can see original question/answer):

Approach dog on a curve, stop at least once: in other words, deliberately approach on a wide curve, giving him full advantage of perceiving the approach and its method.  Do not make eye contact.  Observe the dog VERY, VERY CLOSELY.  During the first few attempts, you may get too close (even on a curve) and he will begin to retreat: STOP.  No eye contact.  Sing a little song, do a little dance, walk away, but make note of how many feet away from him this occurred and the next time stop before that distance is obtained.  As you approach him, turn your head to the side and lick your lips (these are "calming signals" the dog will recognize as they are part of the dog's "language").  When you've reached the point BEFORE the dog reacts, stop, squat down, sit on the floor, have a handful of low calorie treats, talk to him in "baby talk", no direct eye contact.  When he gets to you, give him rewards and tell him "good boy, what a good boy" in a calm voice (not too much excitement, that might scare him).

What SHOULD happen: the distance between you (as you approach) and the dog (before he demonstrates a reaction) should slowly (at least, perhaps more rapidly) decrease until you can actually get TO him, sit on the floor, give him treat and reward, and then get up and walk away.

This is counter conditioning.  At the same time, it is slow desensitization.  Don't rush it.  Do this, report back.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.