Canine Behavior/dog snapping family members dog

Question
Hi there, I have a 5 month old staffy who loves other dogs when I walk her. I took her to my mother in-law's house a couple of weeks ago to get her used to their 9 month old german shepherd as we have to go ther xmas day. They were both on leads and were fine together. We took her a second time on the weekend and again they were fine until my neices went in the pool and the shepherd was also in the pool area. When it came out of the pool arae my staffy went crazy and started sanpping at it and wouldn't stop. Therefore we had to leave. Do you think the pool was the trigger and should I take her back again? Many thanks, Tammmy

Answer
Thank you for your question. Unfortunately, I don't really have enough information in this question to provide you any solid thoughts on the issue.

Was your puppy playing? Part of play is wrestling and mouthing and puppies are still learning to control the pressure of their bites (bite inhibition). How was the GSD responding to this snapping? Was he agitated, trying to get away, getting angry and body getting tense, play bowing, going away and coming back, trying to go away and stay away?

It can sometimes be difficult to tell if a behavior is playful (high energy) or if it's agonistic (ugly/aggressive). We often need to look at the recipient dog to determine the motivation. If the receiving dog is happy and engaged and continues to come back for more, then it's play - even if it's rougher than we'd like. If the receiving dog is not enjoying it - if the tail is tucked, if they're growling, showing teeth, trying to get away and stay away, if they're response is getting more agitated, etc. - then it's not play (even if the displaying dog thinks it's play).

Without more information I can't tell you if you need to leave the puppy  behind when you visit your in-laws. It might the pool, especially since your puppy wasn't invited to be in that area and so he could have gotten very excited/overly aroused watching and then had to expend that energy somewhere. It may be enough to just keep them (or at least your pup) on leash so you can prevent him going over and bothering the resident dog. It may be that you can give him a quiet time activity (such as a Kong loaded with yummy snack and frozen so it lasts him a bit of time) out of sight of the pool when it's time for swimming. This can give him a chance to relax, keep him engaged and out of sight of the activity that got him so agitated.

I'd try a visit with no swimming before Christmas to see if they get along when the activities are calmer. Then be prepared to separate him either into a room where he can't see the pool, or into a crate if he's comfortable in a crate, or tethered in an area he can't see the pool (don't leave him tethered unattended - this may mean positioning yourself so you're at the edge/corner of the house so you can see/participate in the back yard activity while keeping an eye on your pup who may be tethered on the side of the house far enough down that he can't get a visual of the pool.

Or it may be best to leave him at home so he doesn't have to be exposed to the activity that seemed to set him off, nor does the resident dog then have to put up with his rude behavior.

Activity in pools can get dogs excited as they see people/other dogs jumping in and swimming. Voices are often raised, movements are a bit frantic (flailing arms, kicking legs, splashing water) and weird for the dog because you might appear to be just a floating head moving along with no legs... Some dogs love pool activities, but others seem very upset by them. So it is definitely possible that this triggered your dog's behavior. It's also possible that he was just jealous if he couldn't be in the pool area and the GSD was. But without seeing it or getting much more detail, I can't even venture a guess as to his motivation for his post-pool time behavior with the GSD.

I'm sorry I can't offer a definitive solution here. Please feel free to followup if I can be of any further assistance.

Happy holidays.

Jody, CPDT-KA, APDT
Los Angeles Behaviorist
http://GoodDog-DogTraining.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT