Canine Behavior/urinating

I am watching a dog for my friend and according to her she is well house trained. However, today she already peed 3 times in my home. The first time was a long pee, I guess because she was on a long car ride, now other 2 times a smaller amount. There is no blood in her pee and no licking at her private area to suggest a UTI. Once she peed on a blanket that smells like our other dogs, the second time right under my legs. It doesn't look like excitement or submissive urination. I have DAP diffuser in my home, but could she be marking because of stress? or because of the smell of other dogs? She is taken out to pee every 3 hours and is a year old. Not sure what to think of this behavior. Thanks for your time.

The dog is not truly house trained or it would have transferred to your environment.  That being said, there is a strong chance that the presence of other dogs (if she has not been well socialized to other dogs) and the separation from her owner has totally confused her.  I do not know what breed this dog is or anything else about her, for that matter.  Put her on long house tab (lightweight leash) and keep her with you at all times, observing her.  If she begins to urinate, clap your hands, sing a loud song, do not direct it AT her just do it to "startle" (not frighten) and interrupt the urination.  THEN take her outdoors: carry treats (Iams makes "shakeables" my dog loves them, they are small round chewy treats available in supermarkets).  When she has FINISHED urinating, praise lavishly and pop a treat into her mouth, then take her back inside.  If you are unable to observe her, confine her to your kitchen (leave your dogs at large in the house) so her urination cannot harm wood floors or carpets.  Use a combination of white vinegar and water to eliminate (or try to, anyway) the smell.  If you have linoleum, chances are urine has passed between the cracks; if you have tile floors, and they are sealed with grout, this won't happen.

This too shall pass.  Tell your friend her dog is failing in her housetraining and pass on to her my hints at how to remedy it.  This is a young dog in a stressful situation and it won't last forever.  Be patient and calm and loving.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.