Canine Behavior/13 year old dog

we have a 13 year old snoodle. the last 3 months he has been afraid to go out of rooms and into rooms. He cries and barks/yeps while frozen in place. we clap and tell him to come.....and then he comes as though nothing was wrong. What's up with crazy little dog driving us crazy
lucia roy

I would be a lot more patient as this dog is elderly.  Going into and out of rooms may require a change of surface (i.e., from rug to slippery floor, etc.) and have caused him sufficient pain at some point as to create a conditioned response such as you are reporting.  The dog may also have some loss of cognition that is age related.  Find a very good veterinarian who has experience with elderly dogs.  This dog requires a complete physical exam, including blood tests and some baseline neurological testing (as well as a good look at his eyes, he may have cataracts in which case shadows will be quite frightening to him.)

You, too, (if you are blessed), will reach an elderly age.  One must have patience and approach the matter with an attempt to eliminate any physiological cause.  After veterinary check, report back using followup feature.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.