Canine Behavior/bad mom. :(

Hi, I have a 3 yr old Jack Russell, he is the absoulte joy of my husband & I. He's a perfect happy healthy dog. We had been wanting to breed him for the first time. Well we met a beautiful healthy Minpin. They hit it off immediatly needless to say. After being stuck together for 14 minutes & freaking me out. I used the sugar water to help them out. A few hours afterwards everything was calm & back to normal. He was real whiney, which isn't like him. So I picked him up like I always do to put him on the couh with us. And he yelped & gentlely nipped me. He's never nipped anybody. So jason whose in love with Russ trys to comfort him. He's not swollen down there or anything. So time goes on & we take him out before bed. He's having trouble wakling up the steps & then the worst thing happend, he couldn't get in the bed with us. Which broke my heart. I don't want my baby Russ to be in pain & I'm the one who caused this. He often used to hump Jasons leg so I don't thinking its muscles he's not used to using. Is this normal. I'm getting him fixed tommorow because I know he can smell all the in heat dogs in our area, & that's probably not fun. What should I do?

Hi Jessica -

I am glad to hear that you are getting your pup fixed.  I would certainly mention the lameness to your veterinarian so Russ can be examined before the surgery and be cleared of any health issues before the anesthesia.  I wouldn't worry too much.  Dogs can "tweak" stuff just like people, limp around for a few days, and then be fine.  I am not a veterinarian though, so it is always best to direct your health concerns to your pet's doctor.  Good-luck.

Canine Behavior

Jennifer Ganser, LMT, ABCDT

For canines I can answer questions related to behavior, obedience training, health and massage therapy (anatomy, health benefits) For equines I can answer questions related to behavior, barn management, health and massage therapy (anatomy, health benefits) I am not a veterinarian and it is not within my scope of practice as a licensed massage therapist or certified dog trainer to diagnose health conditions. Please contact your pet's veterinarian for illness related questions and emergencies.

I am a licensed massage therapist for people, horses, and dogs and a certified dog trainer. I teach group obedience classes as well as private lessons. I also work with horses and help barns establish good management practices.

Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT) American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) National Certification Board of Massage and Bodywork (NCBTMB)

2009 - graduate of Connecticut Center for Massage Therapy 2010 - certified in canine/feline first aid + CPR by Red Cross 2012 - graduate of Post University equine program 2012 - graduate of Animal Behavior College Obedience program