Canine Behavior/behavior question

Question
Last week my 12 yr old Yorkie passed away , her "sister" is 6 yrs old and I believe my older dog was her idol, while she was ill (kidneys closing down) Franchesca was very concerned about her and was licking her eyes, nose and ears with alot of persistence, would check on her every morning, I came home one evening and i believe some how she wrapped her in a blanket, I actually thought the older dog moved...then i noticed she was trying tot get between the towel and the little bed to nuzzle and push her...Once she passed i let her sniff her and say goodbye... I took my deceased dog to the vet and left her..... Franchesca has not looked for her since...what does that behavior mean?.

Answer
Dogs, like any living entity, have affiliations and behaviors that are associated with that.  They have, in effect, a "culture".  Franchesca was extremely anxious at the obvious decline in the welfare of the older Yorkie: not just body language, but scent, as well.  She was behaving in a solicitous and appeasing manner toward the older dog and was most likely extremely anxious while doing so.  The concept of "death" is different in every species and yes, other species DO exhibit awareness of death and DO react to it.  Some Humans like to think themselves unique in that manner (as well as others) but, in fact, all of God's creatures are a part of Him and, as such, have unique (and not known to us, or even knowable) internal lives.

Franchesca is accommodating the loss of her companion.  This is actually quite healthy.  She may be relieved of the anxiety that observing the decline of her older companion caused her.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.