Canine Behavior/Black Lab Akita Mix leg problems

Question
We have a 12 year old male dog whose back legs starting shaking while lying on his bed in the leaving room.  When we try to get him to stand, he leans to the left with all his weight.  His head also has a tendency to lean to the left.  He seems scared  get up on his own, still is eating and drinking and responding to our voices and seams to not understand what is going on.

Not sure if he had a stroke or slipped a disc.  We have acepromazine 10 mg for a dog that would get stressed over fireworks.  We do have some human valium 5 mg and human cyclobenzaprine hydro chloride 10 mg.  Due to where we live we can't take him to the vet until tomorrow and want to get him quiet for the night.  What can we do.

Answer
First I need to be very clear. I AM NOT A VET. I HAVE NO VETERINARY OR MEDICAL TRAINING . I can only speak from personal experience and from the knowledge I've gained over the years from reading and talking with people much smarter and more well educated than me.

Based on your question, I'm going to assume that this just started tonight (since you say you can't take him to the vet until morning). At 12 years old, your Akita/Lab is definitely a senior dog and lots of things could be going on with him. If this only just started tonight, then it would be considered an acute, or sudden onset, issue. He could have had a stroke. He could have slipped a disc or pinched a nerve. If he stumbled or fell earlier today he could have strained something or broken a bone. At 12 years old, you also don't want to ignore the possibility of a cancer.

For this evening, I would encourage you to assist him gently to standing. Do this by putting your hands just in front of his hind legs and lifting him carefully. Help him steady himself. If he can't stand well or walk well, then take a bath towel and fold it in half the long way and then in half the long way again to make a sling. You put this under his belly (touching his hind legs) and lift slightly to help him stand/walk. Help him go to the bathroom and help him get comfortable for the night. Take him to the vet first thing tomorrow morning - even if his symptoms seem to have subsided . Do not let this go as there may be something serious going on and we want to do everything we can to ensure his comfort at this stage of his life.

My own Akita mix dog had a pinched nerve (narrowed disc space) which flared up periodically. Her hind leg would tremble intensely, she sometimes couldn't walk at all, her range of motion was limited and thus her overall mobility was limited. She would drag her hind foot, and on the concrete in the back yard, this would make two of her toe nails bleed. It was difficult. We managed this issue with dog aspirin as needed for pain, fish oil and omega fatty acids in her diet. I limited her physical activity so that she didn't over exert herself. We found some relief with acupuncture (with electrical stimulation) combined with biopuncture injections. I was lucky that one of the vets in my office does acupuncture and other holistic approaches. I also carried her up to bed when she couldn't manage the stairs and in her final months, used that towel-as-sling to help her down the stairs as well.

As to medication to help your dog through tonight, you'll need to speak to a vet. If you call your vet's office, the outgoing message probably has a number for an emergency vet, or an after-hours number you can call. I can't prescribe medication, nor tell you what dosing would be appropriate. I can tell you that acepromazine is a tranquilizer that makes the dog sleepy but does not lessen anxiety or fear, and in many cases can exaggerate the fear/anxiety because now their body is not responsive to their desires to move. The Valium is an anti-anxiety that has a side effect of making you sleepy. The cyclobenzaprine is a muscle relaxant. Because we don't know if his leg issue is muscular, bone/joint, pain or a brain issue, I can't even begin to guess which med would be appropriate - or if any med would be acceptable - without first being examined.

Please call your vet's office or a local emergency vet to find out what you might be able to do to calm him for tonight.

You may find that simply laying down with him and stroking him softly and soothingly is sufficient to calm him to sleep tonight.

Good luck. I hope it's nothing serious and easily treatable. I'm sorry I can't provide any specific assistance in this situation.

Jody, APDT
Los Angeles Behaviorist
http://GoodDog-DogTraining.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT