Canine Behavior/Fear of Car

Question
Hello, I know that you have answered similar questions but mine is more complex and has been an ongoing issue for 5 months now.  My dog is 2 years old, and I think her problem is that she gets car sick and that she HATES going to the Vet.  She has refused to get into our car since Halloween, she went to Daycare and was really scared of all the costumes.  So, I have been working with a positive reinforcement trainer to get her in the car but it's not working.  We have been trying shaping behavior with a car ramp to get her on the ramp but she stops offering two paws on after a couple of tries and gets frustrated, she will sit down and start barking.  I sit in the car and don't speak to her but I will have tons of yummy food for her that I pretend to eat so she is enticed into coming in , but nothing works.  She will lay on the grass and not get in the car.  I can not pick this 70 pound rescue because she will growl, so that is out of the question.  What can I do?

Answer
First: going to daycare and being frightened of the costumes does not explain her fear of the car, per se.  A dog cannot make this elaborate connection: I got into the car, ended up in daycare, and look at what happened to me.  Positive reinforcement training must be done extremely carefully: desensitization is almost impossible.  What must be done is counter conditioning.  When you food reward a dog, you must KNOW what the dog is *thinking* (reacting to) or you will be rewarding the fear.

Many dogs are fearful of the car.  The fact that this dog seems to be worsening seems a direct result to improper "advice" given by a dog trainer.  It is also disturbing to me that your attempt to "pick her up" results in her growling at you.

You need to bump up your professional assistance.  This dog is exhibiting aggression by growling at being picked up (picking a dog up, even by its front paws, is a very "dominant" thing to do).  She seems anxious and not trusting.  She needs evaluation by a real expert, a certified applied animal behaviorist.  I suggest you find one from the following sites:

http://certifiedanimalbehaviorist.com/page6.html
http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/caab-directory

You don't mention the breed or breed type of this dog.  The fact that she sits and begins to bark is an indication, to me, of cognitive dissonance.  This means: the dog's training has totally confused her.  She can't go forward but she wants to because she's been rewarded in her fear state.  Find a CAAB.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.