Canine Behavior/JRT has no interest on other dogs

Question
My JRT
My JRT  
I adopted a Jack Russel terrier as companion to my Doxle one year ago. He was aggressive at the beginning but I made clear he is not allowed to be the Alpha. He has improved, became friendly to people. He's very clingy to me. But he doesn't want to have anything to do with my Doxle or other dogs except once he seemed enjoy racing with a dog we met in the trail. How can I make him like other dogs at least my Doxle?

Answer
Easy answer: you can't.

Dogs need to be socialized to other dogs from early puppyhood through the first years of adult life.  Once a puppy passes a certain developmental stage, give or take about fourteen weeks of age, socialization is no longer what is possible.  Rehabilitation or remediation is what must be done.

Dogs don't "need" a "friend" to be happy.  There are many one dog households.  People, out of kindness and anthropomorphizing, want to make their "only" dog happier by providing a companion.  This often fails miserably.  If your "only" dog has been properly socialized, s/he will accept (albeit reluctantly perhaps, at first) another dog in the home; if not, then all hell can break loose!

The only way to make the JRT (a very tough little breed that requires a knowledgeable owner: this is not a cuddle bug) feel less ill at ease with the Doxie is to associate the Doxie's presence with reward.  To do this, you need to be able to read the body language of both dogs.  You want to know you're rewarding the "right" thing: thought, body language, etc.

I suggest you begin the process of learning by reading Turid Rugaas' "Calming Signals: On Talking Terms with Dogs":
http://www.amazon.com/Calming-Signals-What-Your-Tells/dp/B000PGTF32/ref=pd_ys_ir

While you are studying this material, observe your dogs together.  Keep notes.  Do not interfere (unless of course aggression is shown in which case you report back).  After you have a reasonable working knowledge of what you're seeing, use followup feature to report back what you have observed.  The JRT can be conditioned to a clicker (Karen Pryor is the sole source of reliable information on the use of the clicker, we'll go into that later) and then rewarded for the subtle signals he gives toward the Doxie of affiliation, subdominance, etc.  If such reward is consistent, he will learn to relax and may slowly desensitize and begin to accept the Doxie's presence as rewarding.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.