Canine Behavior/New puppy litter separation anxiety

Question
Wisdom
Wisdom  
Just got a five week old puppy. Half shih tzu half bichon. We initially brought home two puppies as the breeder said the puppy we wanted would feel more comfortable with her brother or sister for a couple days. After one day we took the second puppy home and kept just ours because two puppies was difficult to handle and our little girl puppy was learning how to potty train better then the boy puppy. Now that our girl is alone she is crying all night missing her sibling and mother. We sleep next to her. She is smart so she understands where her bed is and is peeing on the pee pads. I know we brought her home young so we have her on a canine milk replacement. Is there anything else we can do to calm her night time anxiety.

Thank you

Nathaniel

Answer
Immediately contact your veterinarian regarding proper nutrition.  A small breed puppy can go down fast, before you know what's happening.  Milk replacement is fine but the pup needs more at this point and water consumption is crucial.  This is the most important thing right now.

That "breeder" is an idiot.  She subjected all her puppies to far too early a separation from one another and from the dam (mother).  You must learn how to wean this puppy from the bottle, it cannot be done simply by withdrawing.  Call the SPCA (not the kill shelter, the SPCA) and ask for advice on how to do this.  

For now, reaching down to touch her when she is crying is the wrong approach as it is construed as reward.  A simply verbal reassurance is sufficient.  If you "cater" to her anxiety, it will worsen.  If you are calm and reassuring, it should self extinguish quickly.

I suggest you purchase one of the following asap:
http://www.amazon.com/Petstages-110-Heartbeat-Pillow/dp/B001FK61IY/ref=pd_rhf_sh

This is a heartbeat pillow; it approximates the heart rate of the dam (mother) when pup is in utero and when pup is snuggled up to her dam.  I also suggest you start right now to learn about how to properly socialize your puppy, and how and when to introduce positive reinforcement training.  An excellent, FREE source is Dr. Ian Dunbar's site, DogStarDaily.com.  He also has a free series of puppy training:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_wBHZtwY7A&feature=related

The full DVD series is available on Amazon (and perhaps DogWise.com) and well worth the purchase price.  Doing it "right" insures a well adjusted, happy, and friendly dog companion.  Regarding vaccinations:  BE CAUTIOUS.  This puppy has most likely not received ANY.  DO NOT put this puppy on the ground outdoors and do not put this puppy on the floor at the vet office or allow her to go nose to nose with another dog.  DO NOT give this puppy a six- or seven-in-one vaccination.  She's far too small.  Be certain your veterinarian is sophisticated enough to understand how and at what intervals to introduce ONLY the vaccinations required: distemper and parvo.  The remainder are necessary only under certain circumstances (including lepto).  If the vet refuses to cooperate, find a better one.

Adorable dog, will make a wonderful companion.  You will have some problems with mouthing because she has been removed from littermates far too early.  This is easily repaired.  Get Dr. Dunbar's material and use it; talk to the vet about vaccination and the SPCA about weaning.  TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF when you come home and leave them outside or put a cat litter box with a towel soaked in clorox at the door and leave your shows on that towel.  Parvo virus can live on the street and you can carry it into your home and it is absolutely deadly, especially to a small breed dog.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.