Canine Behavior/personalities

Question
I am looking to get an irish wolfhound border collie mix, I have 80 acres of free run space.  what are the pros and cons of this mix breed?  I am looking for a friendly, easy going breed, one thats great with kids and animals.  One to be big enough to look intimidating to coyotes and burglars but not necessarily vicious.  One that won't chase my chickens!  Your help will be appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Answer
A Wolfhound is a hunting hound, and is likely to be a chicken chaser, and many hounds (and terriers) still have their hunting software intact, meaning that they may also kill prey.  A Border Collie is a herding dog and very likely to go after chickens to herd them.  If you want a dog that is large enough to be intimidating looking, great with kids and other animals (as with all puppies, you need to socialize and train good manners, of course), then my choice might be a Newfoundland.  I don't like to see people pay good money for mixes from possibly disreputable breeders when they could get a purebred from someone who guarantees their puppies for life, and who tests the parent dogs for genetic disorders.  Just my opinion, though.  Of course, if you want the dog to guard against coyotes, some people would suggest a Great Pyrenees.  

Canine Behavior

Anne Springer, B.S., Dip., CAPCT