Canine Behavior/aggression btween 10 year old litter mates

Question
I have two female litter mates Plott and Calahula mix 10 year olds. These dogs have always been together no matter what sleep eat run play always together. I lost my Bloodhound pup about two weeks ago she was 8 months old. Since the smaller of two sisters has become agressive to the larger sis to the point of fighting till blood shows . Never have they done this before . I have separated them but every time the small dog can she goes for the bigger dog. I have a 2 year old male. Neither has a problem with him. I am at a loss as to why or what to do . Ant advice would be great Thanks Kerry

Answer
You need, ASAP!, a certified applied animal behaviorist.  I'm sure you will find one in FL but I have posted links.  NO DOG TRAINERS.  You need a professional who can intervene in this problem which is based on social hierarchy.  The death of the puppy disrupted something in the relationship between these two.  Litter mates can be a serious problem, as often temperament is quite similar between them.  When it comes to two bitches fighting on sight, the problem is approaching a place where there is NO rehabilitation, none.  Find a CAAB and do it fast:
http://certifiedanimalbehaviorist.com/page6.html
http://www.animalbehavior.org/ABSAppliedBehavior/caab-directory

It may be necessary, based upon the expert's observations and thorough history, for one dog to be on some sort of medication (a beta blocker, propanolol, would be my choice).  But WHICH dog is quite difficult to determine and I can't see anything from here.  You cannot allow any further "attacks" since it will get worse, much worse.  Separating the two is not ideal but until you find someone who can help you must never leave these two alone, for any reason.  Put house tabs on BOTH dogs (a house tab is a lightweight leash with handle cut off) when you are at home.  Observe the "offender" carefully for body language.  Interrupt ANY show of aggression.  Pick up the leash.  Circle the dog (as if following a hoola hoop) left, right, left, right, until she has changed her "mind" and looks at YOU.  Then ask for "sit", praise, release.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.