Canine Behavior/attachment anxiety

Question
Is there such a thing as attachment anxiety? I came up with this term because we recently adopted a dog from the rescue league who seem to have the opposite of seperation anxiety. He love all new people and dogs to such an extent he gets overly excited - jumps and whines. He is a great dog at home. Good with our children and us. Gets plenty of exercise but still seems a bit aloft after he's been around anyone for more than a short period of time. He's great when he's left home alone uncrated, but if given a chance he'll run away when a door is open. Do you think this is just a matter of time? Any suggestions to help us bond better? We are very affectionate and give him free run of the house. He came from a foster home where he was kept in a spare bedroom and only allowed in a small fenced yard.

Answer
You didn't indicate how old this dog is, what breed or breeds you believe the dog to be, or if he has had any obedience training.

Without knowing any specifics of your dog, it sounds like a happy and social dog who is lacking manners and obedience skills. I would encourage you to get him into an obedience class. Any time a dog comes into a new home, even if the dog has a set of basic skills, I encourage the owners to take the dog to an obedience class or do obedience training at home. It's a great opportunity to refresh the skills for the dog, and to build the bond and trust and communication between owner and dog.

If he's already awesome at the basics such as Sit, Lay Down, Drop It, Leave It, Stay, Come and Walking on Leash, then I would encourage you to take a Tricks class or an intermediate class. Or get some private training at your home just to reinforce those skills and to work on specifics such as bolting out doors (or rather, NOT bolting out doors...). The dog needs to have the foundation skills of Sit and Stay in order to easily work on his door bolting skills. Below is a link to a couple videos of me working on these skills to give you an idea of how you can practice such a thing. The first thing is to pick a clear spot that has both a visual and tactile clarity for the dog that you can declare to be the spot where you want him when the door opens. You may use a doorway, carpet vs. hard floor, sit on stairs, or put a mat or dog bed in the space for the dog to sit on. In my videos, I'm using the area rug (I don't want the dogs on the hard floor) and I even go so far in one of the videos as to use a specif pattern feature on the rug as a "I want you behind this line". I guide the dog to that spot and ask for a Sit, then move toward the door and back, rewarding the dog for remaining seated. Then we reset and do it again. I build up to actually getting to the door, then jiggling the handle, then cracking the door, then opening it a bit, then opening it wide and standing there for several seconds, then me moving through the door, then me moving through the door and out of sight... It's just an intro video, but the goal is to work up to the point where you can tell the dog to Stay while you open the door and go get the mail and return, or even build up to the point you can chat with someone in the front yard without the dog joining you unless you call them to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2rsPQoeQJs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yVnDZPthe4

Also, brain exercise is equally as important (if not more so) as physical exercise. Just as children can play for hours and still be ready to play some more, but studying a difficult subject can exhaust them in just 30 minutes... dogs are the same way. Dogs can run and chase and play fetch for hours and still be ready to play more. But some good brain exercise can wear them out in 20-30 minutes. So don't forget to be giving him some mental exercise. This can be obedience (just make sure it's fun and not all work), or it can be food puzzle toys such as stuffed Kongs or Kong Wobblers or various puzzle toys you can find now on Amazon or in local stores (see link below for suggestions), it can be setting up hide-and-seek games in the house with his kibble. It can be doing K9 Nose work which is a new-ish sport that is based on the same training that narcotics and explosives sniffing dogs do (both my dogs absolutely LOVE this sport). You can take a class for this or you can buy a book to teach you how to play scent games at home with your dog (see link below). With obedience and mental activity, and some specific training for your dog's specific proclivities (such as bolting out the door), I expect you can guide him to be a great dog, since he's clearly sociable and comfortable with your kids and others whom he meets.

Search "puzzle toys for dogs" on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_11?url=search-alias%3Dpets&field-keywor

The Canine Kingdom of Scent: Fun Activities Using Your Dog's Natural Instincts
http://www.amazon.com/Canine-Kingdom-Scent-Activities-Instincts/dp/1929242727/re

Good luck. Please feel free to followup if I can be of further assistance.

Jody, APDT
Los Angeles Behaviorist
http://GoodDog-DogTraining.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT