Canine Behavior/Dog afraid to go outside

Question
Hi! My friend and I just moved into the city from the suburbs and she brought her dog with her. Her dog is almost a year old (11 months) and is a Jindo breed, she was 8 months when we moved downtown. Every time we take her out for a walk she is refusing more and more. She runs away and hides under the kitchen table when she sees us grabbing the leash and will be very scared. We live in an apt building so when we get to the elevator she will start to shake (more often now then before) because knows we are going outside. She never makes it out the door to outside, and sometimes not even the elevator. Recently she refuses to get out of the apartment and will pull on the leash. We always have to carry her outside, and she is always shaking. We feel bad for her but we don't know what to do, she only seems to be getting worse. We think it's the noise that she is bothered with, when we walk her at night time it's more quiet so she doesn't pull on the leash as much until she knows we're closer to the apartment. But during the day with cars and people strolling by she just panics and pulls and shakes! We don't know what to do and how to get her accustomed to the city life, she really hates going outside. What can we do to help her be less scared and be able to become comfortable going outside? Thanks so much! (by the way- she walked fine in the suburbs in the neighborhood where she lived and was not scared).

Answer
Your dog has not been habituated to the quite different environment she finds herself in.  Apparently, she is a "soft" temperament and fear can be an inherited factor (tendency toward fearfulness).  The best approach would have been to introduce her, in small "bits", to city life in a casual manner randomly for a few weeks, but too late now.  She is being what is called "flooded".  This sort of experience can aggravate a fear response and make it rapidly worse.  Your reactions (concern, attempt to calm, soothe, etc.) may have exacerbated her fear.

At this point you really need some veterinary assistance as well as the eye of an experienced positive reinforcement trainer.  Are you in NYC?  I suggest you call the Animal Medical Center and make an appointment with a veterinary behaviorist.  The dog may need some short term medication (I would suggest at least propanolol which is a beta blocker that truncates the rush of adrenaline) and they will also be able to direct you to a reliable, certified, educated trainer or, if you can afford a bit more $, a certified applied animal behaviorist.  Beware of any "forceful" methodologies.  Not only will they not work, but a person in dog behavior who suggests same is an idiot and not worth a dime.

Meanwhile:  make her night time walks extremely rewarding so long as she is NOT demonstrating ANY FEAR.  Observe her carefully and when you see she is obviously relaxed, stand in place (do and say nothing) until she gives you her full attention (or sits) and then have a "party" for a few seconds and pop a high value food treat into her mouth.  You MUST be certain she is NOT stressed or you will be reinforcing the fear.  We can hope to at least build some new associations but they may not generalize to daytime walks (most likely will not without expert assistance.)  At 11 months, the dog is physiologically changing (brain development) and this can be a "fear age" for some dogs to begin with.  If your friend's parents are willing to take the dog back (in the suburbs), I strongly suggest this is most likely the most humane approach and the least expensive.  You can't fix this by yourself, it's not simple, and it won't get better on its own.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.