Canine Behavior/My dog is scared of everything!

Question
QUESTION: I have a neutered 4 year old pure bred Shiba Inu that I have had since he was 4 months old. I bought him with my ex-fiancee and have since moved two times. I am currently living in an apartment with him and my 5 year old cat. My problem is he is scared of everything and especially people. If someone approaches him in my house he runs and hides and will not come out from his corner or from under the bed. He is especially scared of men, it took him almost a year to be comfortable around my father and we were living with him. He is fine around other dogs and spent almost 4 years living with 2 other dogs when I lived with my parents. Now that we moved into an apartment he is always under the bed or hiding somewhere else. He is comfortable with my best friend who has know him since a puppy, but that is it. I take him for 2 walks daily and take him to the pet store and dog park to try and get him used to people but nothing seems to be working. He is also afraid of thunderstorms, music bass, and my neighbors upstairs walking around. I am just wondering what I can do to ease his anxiety and what the cause might be. I am willing to do anything to make him more comfortable so he doesn't have to be under my bed all the time.

ANSWER: How long has he been living with you in this new environment?

How was his general behavior when you lived with your parents?

Are they willing to take him back?

Can you afford a behaviorist to come to your home, evaluate the dog, and work with you to help this transition?

Can you afford veterinary attention that may require medication?

Please use followup to answer.

QUESTION: We have been living there for just over 10 months. He was still generally skittish when we were living at my parents. Still did not like people and would jump at any loud noise. Unfortunately they moved out of state and can not have another dog beyond the 2 they have. Plus I don't think I could part with him. I don't know if I can afford a behaviorist but I could afford veterinary attention that may include medication.

Answer
Let's start with a veterinary behaviorist.  Find one from one of these sites or by calling the veterinary college in your geographical area:
http://www.veterinarybehaviorists.org/
http://www.veterinarybehaviorists.org/

Report back.  Know that medications have side effects in humans we can report, the dog can't.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.