Canine Behavior/maltese

Question
why does my maltese dog scratch the floor after playing or when she needs to go out to the bathroom and she sneezes when you play with her what does that mean

Answer
Scratching and digging are natural behaviors to dogs and many find it quite pleasant. Digging or scratching at the floor during or immediately following play is actually is actually quite common. The scratching is actually a play behavior. So long as the dog isn't causing damage, you can enjoy that as part of his joy at the game. My little terrier scratches at the floor, his bedding and even at his toys (as if he's digging them up).

Scratching slowly is also a nesting behavior and so depending on the circumstances, if she's tired or ready to lay down and rest after the game, then it may be a nesting behavior that you're seeing. Again, totally normal and so long as she's not causing any damage, there's nothing to be concerned about.

As for the sneezing, that is actually a play/attention solicitation. My older dog sneezes to get my attention - and it works! I would say "bless you" and he'd sneeze again - now he has my attention and wants to engage with me... If you respond with attention to the sneezing, then your little one has learned that this is a successful way to get your attention and so she'll keep it up. And if you suddenly ignore it, she's bound to sneeze more times or bigger, more obvious sneezes because in her mind, "it's always worked before... maybe my person just didn't hear me. I'll do it again..." You can extinguish the behavior simply by never responding to it again, and instead responding to another behavior. After that initial burst of more/bigger sneezes, she'll learn that it no longer works and she'll stop doing it. Personally, I think it's funny and endearing, so for my dog, I don't mind that he does it.

As with the sneezing, your pup may have gotten reinforcement for scratching/digging during play in that you gave her attention when she did that behavior and so she did it again.

I hope this helps you better understand your pup and her antics. Please feel free to followup if I can be of further assistance.

Jody, APDT
Los Angeles Behaviorist
http://GoodDog-DogTraining.com

Canine Behavior

Jody Epstein, CPDT- KA, APDT