Canine Behavior/Update on question on 11/30/2011

Question
Max & Miley
Max & Miley  

I had emailed you awhile back about my Jack Russell/Queensland Heeler mix, Miley, regarding her aggression issues.

We were never able to get her into a "growl class" or any kind of obedience school because the money has not been there for us to spare; however, I am happy to report that her behavior with other dogs has gotten much better. It has helped that, since moving back in with my inlaws, that Miley has been getting about 4+ hours of play & exercise a day. My inlaws have a 1/4 acre of fenced backyard space,  as well as two high energy German Shorthair Pointers. The three frequently play chase, run around the yard as a pack, chase bunnies, and lay together in the yard. She's never offered aggression at either dog. We generally take Miley, and the male GSP for a 45 minute walk in the morning, because the male is non reactive towards other dogs. We began to notice that Miley's aggression towards dogs on walks have subsided as a result of a calm dog walking with her. To this day, we still walk the two together, and even though she still looks at other dogs and wants to bark, she does not blow up as bad and is very easily deterred now. The bizarre screaming she used to do has stopped completely.   

Thank you for the advice you provided in my original two emails.

Answer
Thank you SO MUCH for this update!  Yes, the presence of a calm, non-reactive dog will influence another dog who has fear issues, given sufficient time.  Your Miley has quite the genetic burden lol.  Difficult hybrid - this can create problems.  I see you are doing well now and I am so very happy that you shared this with me.  God bless you!

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.