Canine Behavior/6-yearold Morkie having panic, anxiety or paranoia attack

Question
My husband and I have my daughter's 6-year old Morkie and 8-year old Shih Tzu.  Our Morkie is acting either very anxious, panicky or paranoid.  This is the second night.  He will run to sit by my side and will look down at the floor and start frantically looking back and forth as if he is looking for something but nothing is there.  He is moving in a very fidgety way.  I try to give him some water but he is clenching his mouth close.  Otherwise he is panting.  We are giving probiotic and digest enzyme supplements with their meals for a fungus.  They eat raw food by Primal.  Right now we give turkey/sardine mixture and the other is beef.  We switch between the two every meal so they don't get tired of eating the same meals.  Last night's episode lasted until the next morning.  Can you let me know what this is and how it was triggered and what we can do?  Is he in danger?  What is the worst that can happen?

Answer
I am NOT a fan of the BARF method of feeding for many reasons.  Small breed dogs seem especially affected in negative ways.  Meat is contaminated; cooking it thoroughly kills most contamination.

Your dog is suddenly presenting with what may very well prove to be a serious symptom.  You require a veterinary internist ASAP (not a generalist).  I would not give ANY probiotics or enzymes or any such thing to any dog (or to myself for that matter) without a discussion with a competent and knowledgeable medical professional.  The dog is exhibiting extreme stress: parasite?  Reaction to medications being given?

Dogs don't "get tired" of eating the "same meal".  The domestic dog is effectively a scavenger and will accept any food source (even the poorest, as in literal garbage, if nothing else is available!)  There are a variety of excellent dried foods out there that are free of additives and are supplemented to satisfy nutritional requirements.

This dog requires immediate veterinary intervention.  Do not force anything by mouth.

What's the worst that can happen?  He can die.  Contact the veterinary college in your area and find a veterinary internist.  If you cannot, find a veterinary behaviorist:

http://www.veterinarybehaviorists.org/
http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonline/

If this dog has developed or is developing tortion, this is a life and death emergency.  Stop the BARF diet even if you have to go to "off the shelf" and substitute a well known (and well tested) diet such as Purina is now offering in its new line of additive free foods.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.