Canine Behavior/my chow chow bit me hard

I have seen that when I try to take my dog out of the room and he next to my mom he has snapped at me then he growls a little. always at home now so she's the one that has more time with him. She walks him. Gives him food and water etc.. but me and my husband raised him as a puppy. Hes now eight months. My mother met him three months ago. I love my dog very much. We have been training him and rewarding him. Why is it now he is close by my mother and I'm going to pet him he bites me. Its been twice now.

The Chow Chow is not a casual breed and not for an inexperienced owner.  They need to be handpicked from only the best breeders and, even then, a throwback occurs with an aggression problem.  This is an eight month old dog with no bite inhibition.  He is apparently "guarding" your mother (resource guarding).  This won't stop by itself and I can't ethically counsel you since I can't see the dog, can't evaluate him, can't interview the people in the house, can't observe his body language when you enter the room or reach for him, etc.  DO NOT give this dog any attention whatever until he has been evaluated by a certified applied animal behaviorist with a specialty in aggression.  He is learning about how to control you; giving free attention is not something you need to be doing now.

Find a CAAB from one of the following sites:

He has acquired this behavior for a variety of reasons that resolve into a complex issue that cannot be casually addressed.  His aggression will worsen and he will pay with his life.  Find a CAAB.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.