Canine Behavior/Dog has regressed after 4th of July

Question
QUESTION: "Dear Madeline, I have read you biography and I promise to read and rate your response within three days.  I understand that your time is valuable, that you are most likely spending at least 45 minutes of your time in response to my question, and I understand too that when questioners read and rate your responses fairly that you make random donations to animal shelters to help homeless animals.  In the interest of being appreciative of your time AND helping shelter dogs and cats, I agree that I will rate your response and give you fair feedback."

About a year ago my husband and I rescued a Wheaten Poodle mix from a shelter, we knew little about him outside of his age being 4-7 and that he was taken from a horder situation with 11 other animals. When we first got him he did not know how to walk on a leash, appeared to have never been left alone in a backyard, was not totally house trained, and needed a lot of TLC. He also seemed to be wary of men, and partial to women. Fast forward a year and he's going for walks, doesn't have accidents in the house anymore, loves his "mom and dad' so much he waits by the front door at our usual time to get home, comes over to each of us for cuddles, and LOVES to play in the backyard with a tennis bar. That is until 4th of July. He's always been afraid of loud noises, but 4th of July seems to have caused him to go back to being the dog we rescued a year ago. He does not want to go outside at all after his morning potty break, not in the front or back yard. He puts on the breaks and we have to force him to go out to go potty, which he does do, but then when he comes in he acts afraid for hours after. It's July 8th, no more fireworks are going off. We've also noticed that he is acting odd towards my husband again, he cowers when my husband puts on his leash, and he acts like he's expecting to get hit and neither one of us has ever laid a hand on him. What can I do to help him? I want my loveable happy guy back, it's worrying me that he's been stressed out for days.

ANSWER: Hi, Kryste,

Thanks for taking the time to read my bio and for selecting me to respond to your question.

I know that it seems almost intiuitive, but I don't want to assume anything, so I'll ask:  Was your Wheaten/Poodle mix exposed to the sound of fireworks proximate to your home on the 4th?  If so, how close were the fireworks, what did he do while they were being set off, what did you and your husband do and where were you, and for how long did the fireworks last?  How long did it take your dog to recover if he was panting, hiding, or otherwise expressing fear of the fireworks?  Was he sedated at that time?  If you were not at home on the 4th, was he alone?  Or, did you take him to a place where fireworks were being set off?

Once I know the answers to these questions, I can respond in a more informed manner.

Thanks!

Best,
Madeline Friedman at AllExperts

QUESTION: Was your Wheaten/Poodle mix exposed to the sound of fireworks proximate to your home on the 4th?  Yes, we live just outside of Chicago, and people started lighting off fireworks the week leading up to the 4th sporadically. There were occasions where he was outside and something would go off in the distance, but he was not ever purposely exposed to anything.

If so, how close were the fireworks, what did he do while they were being set off - the day of the 4th neighbors were blowing off their fireworks so the surrounding houses had some activity. We took him out in the morning when it was quiet, and the early afternoon, and then he would not go out again until about 1:30am when everything had quieted down. Typically he starts to shake, cowers, starts heavy panting, runs and hides, or freezes up when he hears something like that. He reacts similarly to thunder.

what did you and your husband do and where were you, If we know there is a storm coming or fireworks coming we try and give him a sedative beforehand. The vet prescribed 1/2 a Xanax. We'll also take him down in the basement and put the TV on louder there and stay down with him as long as we can.

and for how long did the fireworks last? fireworks were off and on for a week, on the 4th, it started in the afternoon, and lasted until around midnight

How long did it take your dog to recover if he was panting, hiding, or otherwise expressing fear of the fireworks? The day of the 4th it probably took him the whole night to get back to normal. He was sedated, on a Xanax. Typically when he hears a thunder or a firecracker, as long as it does not continue, he rebounds in a few hours.

Was he sedated at that time? Yes  If you were not at home on the 4th, was he alone?  we stayed home with him all day. We took him in the basement where the fireworks were harder to hear.

Answer
Hi again, Kryste,

Thanks for the additional details.  

Xanax or Valium work ideally for noise phobias such as thunder and fireworks when the dog is already sedated before the noise starts.  Once the dog starts to become anxious, dosing the dog afterwards may result in the medication not having the desired effect or not working in the  most efficactious manner.

Also, be aware that xanax usually sedates a dog for only a couple of hours, not usually more than three.  I don't know the weight of your dog, or the level of anxiety, but 1/2 a xanax, depending on the mg., may not be the ideal dosage.  Valium takes longer to work as it metabolzes into two forms in the body before it has a sedative effect, but I personally like it better for noise phobias for most dogs as it works longer.  What you should do is discuss what has happened and what is occuring now with your veterinarian, and revisit whether your dog is getting the correct dosage for the magnitude of his reaction to thunder and fireworks.

It sounds as if your dog has had regressions in the behaviors you've described due to panic from the trauma of being barraged for several days by the noise.  You wrote that he refused to go out until 1:30 a.m. when all the fireworks had stopped, and that is a clue that he was highly motivated to stay in even though he probably had to go outside and eliminate.  In addition, if it thundered as well, it all may just have been too much for him.

Once a dog has panicked and experienced this level of trauma, your dog's fears may start to generalize to many behaviors and your dog may not recover to where he was before without additional help and, possibly, training.  If you find this is so, especially at this point in time, you may want to find a veterinary behaviorist in your area to discuss the possiblility of putting your dog on Prozac, Elavil, or another recommendation from the veterinary behaviorist.  If your dog's fears generalize and he doesn't recover within a couple of weeks, it's best not to let this go on too long and to address the issue as quickly as possible.  Dogs' fears tend to worsen with time once they've been traumatized, not get better.  You want to change the dog's neurology as quickly as possible.

In addition to any medications a veterinary behaviorist may recommend, you might want to find a trainer experienced in helping owners assist their dogs with noise phobias.  It's best to let a medication such as Prozac, e.g., take effect, which could take up to six weeks, and then start working with a trainer.  What the medication does is open a behavioral window of opportunity for the right trainer to insert training and behavioral modification which will help your dog.  

Expect that this will NOT be a quick fix, and you may need to work with a trainer once every week, or every two weeks, for several months.  Make sure you find a trainer who uses positive-only methods and who does NOT employ punishment of any kind, including shake cans, choke collars or prong collars, which can only make matters worse.  Certifications don't really matter as much as experience, the ability of the trainer to articulate and demonstrate exercises which will help your dog, and feeling the trainer is a good fit for you and your dog.

You can start to look for a veterinary behaviorist by going to www.AVMA.org

Vet behaviorists are a specialty.  There are only about 50 some-odd of them in the United States.  Typically, vets don't get much behavioral education in vet school; but, vet behaviorists specialize in behavior.

If your dog has gotten better and is seeming to recover, that's great.  But, if not, you may need to explore the other interventions I've suggested.  I would be interested in hearing how it goes.

Thanks again for your question, and best of luck.  I hope everything turns out well!

Madeline Friedman, M.A.
AllExperts Volunteer
Serving NYC, NJ, Palm Beach County Florida

Canine Behavior

Madeline S. Friedman, M.A.