Canine Behavior/dog's sudden behavior

Question
My dog is a Yorkie Poo.  She is 13 months old and weighs 6 lbs.  She has always slept with us and in the last three nights has started trembling (or muscle tremors) when I put her in the bed.  She will sleep fine until we go to bed and then seems to be scared.  Wants to get up but doesn't want up without us. This morning it has continued with her sleeping deeply on the couch but she is curled up tight in a ball and I can see the muscle rippling in her body.  She seems frightened. What could be causing this action or reaction so suddenly?

Answer
First stop: veterinarian.  Your Yorkie Poo might be in pain (could be orthopedic).  Jumping on and off furniture/beds will make this pain severe.  The dog associates the pain with the immediate environment: bed, couch, etc., not her own behavior (jumping onto same).  She also may have other physiological issues.  If she's approaching estrus, it could be hormonal.  Do not spay her if she has not been spayed; have an estrogen titer done and let her go through the first estrus cycle.  Do a comprehensive blood chemistry, also.

While this is ongoing, try to answer the following questions:

1.  Can you even remotely try (I know this is very hard) to identify even the slightest reason this began three nights ago: was anything different, did you or your partner have a nightmare, etc.  
2.  "Wants to get up but doesn't want up without us" makes me think this is physical pain.  Have you noticed her favoring a particular leg or licking at a particular foot?
3.  Sleeping "deeply" is a tricky thing to observe: most animals sleep with "one eye open" but a very deep sleep might indicate other physiological problems.  What happens if you waken her?  How does she behave immediately?  (Do it gently, very gently, verbally without touching her.)

Use followup to advise me what veterinarian said.  Make sure you see a very experienced generalist: a veterinary internist is preferred but they're not easy to find and usually require referral from a general veterinarian.  Meanwhile:  THINK.  I know how difficult it is to remember a slight occurrence that meant nothing in itself but may have set this dog off but it's worth a try.  Do NOT reward this behavior by "coddling" the dog or trying to "comfort" her.  Have a "party", be jolly and happy, reward her happy tail and bright attention.  Call that vet tomorrow AM.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.