Canine Behavior/introducting a cat

Recently I asked about having my daughters cat stay for all most a week. Loved your answer and it was a pretty smooth sailing week. Got another question for you, my daughter is now moving home for a month or two possibly more.  She will be bringing her cat again.  Last time when we watched it it stayed only in the basement. ( with a screen covered look out in the egress window) Our dog Zoee is afraid of her and our cat tolorates her.  How can we slowly make it so she could also be in the whole house so our daughter doesn't have to live in just the basement.  She's in the process of moving to Florida and we live in Michigan.  I need all the time with her I can before she leaves. :(

If dog is afraid, then dog is "soft" temperament, does not have high prey drive, is very unlikely to chase the cat.  The cat, in kind, appears not to fear the dog (most cats do learn to fear dogs because most dogs have higher prey drive and WILL chase, even for fun).  You can begin in the same manner that you lived when the cat visited, and then slowly allow them to "mix" for short periods of time under your supervision.  If your dog runs and hides, the cat will soon learn that she has nothing to fear from the dog.  At that point, use followup feature and we will attempt condition the dog to experiencing the cat's presence as something positive and rewarding.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.