Canine Behavior/Sleep-like Behavior

Question
Thank you for your time and thoughts.

7 weeks ago my wife and I received a 10 week old Alaskan Malamute female from Japan. We had raised this puppy's mother for 8 months before she went to Japan to live. Our puppy was the "runt" of a litter of 7. Within 10 days she had already eaten a squeaky toy which needed to be removed from her stomach via surgery. This was followed by almost 3 weeks of recovery. During the surgery and recovery several doctors noted her heart beat was rather fast and a echogram found a heart murmur. The hole is quite small according to the specialist who did the echogram. But the issue that we thought at first was jet lag, now has us concerned as it does not seem to be going away. She sleeps most of the day, which we consider normal for a fast growing pup, but night she paces continually for at times more than 10 hours straight. During this time her eyes are almost closed and her ears are down to horizontal. She will follow the same path around any room she is in, and if she encounters a corner or some obstruction she will try to push straight through or over it. If she can get her nose between the object and a wall she will force her way forward. Last night she pushed her way between the slats on the back of an upright chair that were only 14 cm wide. We have crated her while she is in this state and she does not complain at all. When she is "awake" and is crated after a time she will let us know that she does not appreciate the confinement. During this sleep state she will eat, but most of the time will not stand to eat and is quite erratic. She will put her face into the food and then react in surprise when her nose gets into the food. We have a test set for her on Monday which will check her liver condition, and depending on the results of that test will continue on to a Neurologist. Do you have a feel for what we might be dealing with?

Answer
It sounds to me like this puppy is blind.

I suggest a large teaching hospital attached to a veterinary college, even if you have to drive to get there.  All the specialists you need will be under one roof.  I doubt the heart murmur has anything to do with the behavior you describe but the puppy may have multiple problems.  Heart anomalies such as you describe are congenital and inherited, they are in the "line", there are tests to rule out any breeding "stock"; persistent retinal atrophy (PRA), cataracts (including juvenile onset) and other types of sight disorders are also congenital.  This puppy needs a complete evaluation.  Life quality issues need to be addressed.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.