Canine Behavior/Soft Coat Wheaten Terrier Pupply

We purchasd Jack, our SCWT puppy, who is now 2-1/2 months old, from a reputable breeder.  He is great, happy and healthy with a hearty appetite.  He has learned outdoor defacation, but he still urinates in the house, and he is so quick no time to get him outside.  He is good in his crate, and is overall a great smart little boy and we love him.  One other thing, he gets in between our legs and trys to walk with us, and we are afraid he will be stepped on.  Any and all advice will be welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

This is a ten week old puppy.  Surprisingly, defecation is usually the last thing to successfully train so that means he is smart and he willing BUT HE CANNOT HOLD HIS URINE for as long as you want him to.

He needs much more opportunity to urinate outdoors.  Urinary incontinence in a puppy this age is not uncommon.  In a few weeks, his body will catch up with his training.  Don't overly confine him in that crate, that's not how to house train a dog but it certain is how to create an under socialized dog that is not habituated to a normal household.  Take him out after every nap, after every play time, and food reward (with tiny tidbit of something good) every urination outdoors.  IGNORE THE MISTAKES.  He will soon catch up.

You might want to run this by his breeder.  If she's as "reputable" as you say she is (I have my doubts but that's just me, being my cynical self from having learned the hard way over far too many years), she may offer suggestions.  But the bottom line is: this puppy needs socialization to other people and places, other dogs, other situations, a puppy kindergarten and a lot of positive reinforcement training right now.

Dr. Ian Dunbar has a free online Sirius Puppy Training course.  If you look around, you might find a positive reinforcement trainer with a puppy kindergarten.  If it's done RIGHT this is a wonderful socializing activity.  Your window of opportunity for real socialization slams shut about fourteen weeks of age.

Dunbar's training site:

What a good puppy class should look like:

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.

I have spent my entire professional life rehabilitating the behavior of the domestic dog and I can answer any question regarding any behavior problem in any breed dog. I have answered more than 5,000 QUESTIONS on this site in the past (almost) eight years. If you are a caring, committed owner and need advice, I'm here for you. I am personally acquainted with my colleagues (Turid Rugaas, Ian Dunbar, etc.) who were members of an elite group in EGroups that I founded: K9Shrinks. THERE ARE NO QUICK FIXES for serious behavioral issues; not only is it unprofessional to offer same, it is also unethical. IF I ASK YOU SUBSEQUENT QUESTIONS, I NEED YOU TO INTERACT WITH ME. More information equals more credible answers and a more successful outcome. If you want ANSWERS THAT WORK, participate in any way I request. I'm quite committed to working on this site for YOUR benefit and the benefit of YOUR DOG. Help me in any way you can.

30 years of solving serious behavior problems in domestic dogs; expert in dog to human aggression; Internet columnist for for 5 years; former radio talk show host, WHPC.FM, Garden City, NY "Bite Back" (1995 through 2000). List owner, international animal behavior experts, Seminar leader: "Operant Conditioning and Learning"; "Aggression in The Domestic Dog"; "Solving Problem Behaviors" -- conducted for various training facilities on Long Island from 1993 through 2000. Former clinical director of "Behavioral Abnormalities" in conjunction with Mark Beckerman, DVM, Hempstead, New York.

Member, APDT (UK); Psychologists in Ethical Treatment with Animals

Harcourt Brace Learning Direct: "The Business of Dog Training" "The Fail Safe Dog: Brain Training, not Pain Training"

Ph.D., UC Berkeley

Board of Directors: Northeast Dog Rescue Connection; The Dog Project; Sav-A-Dog Foundation; etc. Pro Bono counselor: Little Shelter Humane Society My practice is presently limited to forensics. I diagnose cause of dog bite, based upon testimony before the Court, for attorneys and insurance companies litigating dog bites, including fatal injuries. I also do pro bono work for bona fide rescue organizations, humane societies, et al, regarding such analysis in an effort to obtain release for dogs being held for death in municipal shelters in the US.