Canine Behavior/Barking...and barking...and barking

Question
Bennett
Bennett  
Hi Dr. Connor,  My husband and I adopted a ?lab/shepherd mix from our local humane society in November 2012.  He was 6 months old at the time.  We don't know much about his history, except that he was brought to the shelter at 5 months, adopted by a family with a young child, and returned after a month because he was nippy.  We worked with him, and the nipping has subsided.  He is a smart pup; we have completed Level 1 obedience, and are on our 3rd level of agility (all positive reinforcement only).  He is generally quiet in the house, and not very reactive - loud noises, people passing the house, and neighbour's dog barking cause minimal reaction.  In fact, the only real issue we have with him is his continual barking when someone enters our house or yard.  Sometimes he will settle (after several minutes of barking) only to start up again.  It doesn't appear to be provoked (the visitor hasn't stood up, etc); it doesn't appear to be fear or aggression based - it seems to be a call for attention.  Occasionally he will do the same thing when my husband gets home from work, and he frequently will bark during agility classes, if we are not actually doing an activity, but trying to listen to instruction.  I have tried several things to change this behaviour, but none were successful, and I'm afraid I may have just confused the issue.  I've tried waiting for a few seconds silence and rewarding "good quiet", turning my back on him, and putting him behind a closed door for a few seconds, but as none seemed to work; I probably didn't stick with it long enough to be effective.  Can you suggest a "tried and true" method to deal with this?  Thanks so much!!

Answer
Lovely dog and well done! in terms of obedience and agility.  Barking is communication.  Unless other indications are present (pilo-erection, for instance: ear set, tail set) this may have been inadvertently "trained" because it DOES get attention.  :o)

First suggestion:
http://www.dogwise.com/ItemDetails.cfm?ID=DTB989
"Barking: The Sound of a Language", Turid Rugaas

Second, her site on dog body language (a real eye opener that might alert you to just what sets the dog off):
http://www.canis.no/rugaas/index.php

This is her 'Calming Signals' community online (you may even be able to order the book from this site, dunno).

Even if this is over excitement or some sort of echo of a conditioned response from a "former" life experience, it can be extinguished.  The surefire method of doing so is to actually "train" it.  Should you choose this method, I would suggest you use a clicker (it will separate this particular "trick" from all other obedience routines).  Basics of clicker:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IC367wKGi4M&feature=related

The dog must be properly conditioned to the clicker and this isn't always as simple as it appears to be, since some dogs are sensitive to the click at first and many trainers who use it don't truly understand that the introduction and conditioning process are "unforgivable", meaning: you can't make a mistake, while its use is "forgivable" meaning, you can occasionally err in rewarding the "wrong" thing (I did it once on stage in front of an audience, totally inadvertently very embarrassing lolol).  So learning how it works and how to use it: Karen Pryor is the only resource so far as I'm concerned.  Her website:
ClickerTraining.com

There you will find many articles, free videos on all sorts of training (including how to control behaviors you don't want):
http://www.clickertraining.com/node/834

There are clicker solutions for just about everything with the exception being extremely advanced dog to human aggression.

Once the dog is trained to "bark" on command, he is then trained to "shush" (or whatever expression you choose to use) and the reward is slowly extinguished for the bark and reinforced for obliging the "shush" command.

It may take a few weeks (most likely will) and, while it might work at home quite well within a couple of months (or less), you will most likely have to go back to "kindergarten" (as Karen says) in other places (such as in class).  Once your dog understands how rewarding it is to STOP, he'll be happy to oblige (and you can use this when he responds to normal things, as well: let him voice his opinion, then "shush" him).

Use followup for any questions as you proceed.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.