Canine Behavior/dog and my panties

Question
I have a pug dog who is 9 weeks old, she is obsessed with my panties. When I go to the toilet she follows me and begins to sniff, lick and try to pull my panties away from me. When I get undressed she immediately takes my panties and runs with them. She gets into the dirty laundry basket and strews my panties everywhere.

Why does she do this?? I have even found a pair in her dog crate.

Answer
There's most likely a hormonal reason for this: 9 weeks of age is a neonate.  You are (presumably, if you wear panties = don't mean to be politically incorrect, but really....) young female, running estrogen and progesterone.  The puppy is responding to the scent of hormones because her dam (mother) was running estrogen and progesterone (especially, immediately after whelping, progesterone: does this happen more just before, during and after your menstrual cycle?)

When she follows you into the bathroom: stop her by closing the door, first; second, if you cannot do that, begin to keen (whine profusely as a dog in pain would) the moment she shows any interest in your underwear.  If this does not work (it should, but one never knows), lean toward her, raise your upper and lower lips, and GROWL for a few seconds.  She WILL back off and this will, if done a few times (perhaps even once) discourage her.

Put the dirty laundry basket somewhere she cannot reach (in the tub, for instance, behind the closed bathroom door).  Get undressed behind the closed bathroom door.  Not only is this puppy most likely responding to some strongly acquired, scent related stimulus, but you are inadvertently REWARDING her by playing tug of war, even by yelling; this may have now become a "game" for her.

Canine Behavior

Jill Connor, Ph.D.